• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Wifi/Ram Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miller220

Registered
My Linksys wireless G card has been pretty temperamental since the day I opened its innocent looking Blue and Green Box. HOWEVER besides occasionally the card giving me my daily dose of SNAFU up till recently its run fine.

Long story short, when I set my ram speed to 800MHz the card will See my network, and it will start to connect to said network....then stop. :clap::salute: Bravo Linksys/Cisco. My mobo is an Asus M4A785TD-V Evo, and with the exception of ram timings..I have no overclocking on anything.. Anyone had this issue before? Or anything Similar?:shrug:

It does. I played around with my settings yesterday and at first I had ram timings stock, but I bumped my ram from 667 to 800 and I lost nets, so then I changed timings but left the clocks. AGAIN long story short, Played with my ram timings while leaving it at 800 and no wifi, but I left the lower-then-stock timings ON but changed the speed back to 667 and suddenly my wifi worked again? Also my wifi card I should mention is a PCI card, not usb or on board.

I know you say you aren't overclocking but do you have your overclock mode set to anything other than auto or Asyncronous in bios? Also, what is the wattage of your PSU?

Last edited:
Honestly, I never installed any linksys drivers because I had MORE trouble with them then when I used the integrated drivers...however I think I'll try my other slot. Frankly I forgot it existed. I'll tell ya what happens after Im done.

Perhaps Linksys has fixed an issue with the drivers? I suggest you try them again

No Luck, I switched slots and at with my ram at 800, it gave me the same issue. When it WOULD let me see/attempt to log onto my network, it would go through like it was going to connect, then tell me that windows was unable to connect.

Is your PCI bus tied to your FSB speed? Or your RAM multi in some way? that might cause the PCI bus to be running too fast for the card. (Long shot, but possible)

I think PCI should run at 33.3MHz

WELL...I installed the latest drivers..which are from 2003....the card is a wmp54g.. >,> lets see how this goes over.

At the rate I'm going, I'm going to say to hell with wireless cards all together, and get another router I can put DD-WRT on and just turn it into a bridge/repeater so my laptop still gets wifi, and my desktop can be hooked up via ethernet.

Why don't you just buy another card or get a usb dongle? I'm beginning to think your card is bad, especially since you say in your original post that historically it has given you a "daily dose of snafu." It's more of a headache than its worth. Those things new don't cost much. It's like the old saying, "You can whip a skunk but it probably ain't worth it."

I'm a bum college kid living with his mom, else I'd just have my modem right next to me, and I want a router to turn into a repeater BECAUSE said house is just plain bad for wifi.

Back