• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

weird xp install problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

copernicus

so my neighbor ask's me to put in a new cpu and more mem for him and do a fresh install of xp, as he's had this install for 2.5 yr's and he really likes using system restore, and well... let's just say the result is less than desirable.

ok to the problem, installed new hardware first, boot to windows no problem.
pop in xp cd (it's a sp2 pro retail) restart, enter bios,choose first boot cd yadda yadda.

start's windows setup go through all step's chose C:\ and delete partition, came up raw partition as usual, created new partition chose to format ntfs quick (don't know if this was the problem) then installed.

install went as usual, finished, booted into windows a new fresh install everything was normal to this point, first thing i did was to open the D drive (he has 2 drives c 120 gb d 250 gb. where all his stuff is backed up) and install the motherboard chipset driver's and the display driver's then rebooted as normal.

here's the problem, when it rebooted, the window's install was exactly as it was before i reinstalled it. right down to screensaver all program's and icon's working like before

i've installed xp countless times using both the quick format and the normal, and i've never encountered this problem. so it has me stumped. gonna try again tommorow. this time i'm gonna remove the d drive and put the driver's on a disk. and not use the quick format this time.

any idea's other than mine are most appreciated.

Last edited:
Write down the drivers you need and any programs he has backed up (for reinstalling). Remove the second drive, then reinstall, then download any of those programs as a start off.

Once reinstalled, very carefully edge through the second drive after plugging it back in. Anything that looks windows-ish, delete before any reboot. The backup info could be lurking on the second drive, and something (no idea what) could have triggered it.

EDIT:

copernicus said:
i've installed xp countless times using both the quick format and the normal, and i've never encountered this problem. so it has me stumped. gonna try again tommorow. this time i'm gonna remove the d drive and put the driver's on a disk. and not use the quick format this time.

How the hell did i miss that...

Last edited:
Back