• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Well, my 3dmark06 score just dropped over 6000 points. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spoudazo

LOWLOWLOWscore.jpg

As I posted on EVGA's forum board,
Ok,

For some reason my card has been giving me problems.

First it didn't want to exit 3d mode and switch to 2D mode at first, so I underclocked (i.e.-put it below stock settings).

After I did this, it started working fine so I put it back to stock settings. Now at stock settings gaming performance is horrible.

1600x1200 in BF2 with 2x supersampling AA, 16xAF, Best Image Quality, etc. would usually be pegged at 100fps for most of the game on most levels. Now it'll barely push 40-50fps.

I ordered a new PSU to see if that's the problem (going from an Athena 550w PSU, which has been used w/ a 7800gtx, 7900gtx, and now this card) to a 750w Thermaltake W0116RU modular PSU. I don't think this is the problem, but just in case, I can test it and see.

My CPU is a C2D e6400@3ghz, and Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi motherboard and 2gb of RAM.

So anyone have any ideas? I've tried switching between multi GPU and single GPU, etc. and still no go. BF2 is rather unplayable at such horrible framerates.

Even with NO anti-aliasing it still runs about 40-50fps at 1600x1200.

Edit:
Just to so everyone knows, what I wound up doing was setting the north bridge voltage to 1.45 or so voltage, and it fixed it for whatever reason. PCIx16 link width no longer would reset to 1x. :)

Last edited:
It did it both with the 93.72 and now w/ the "old faithful" 91.45 drivers.

I've never used RivaTuner,

What does ATI tool do? I've seen it before (that hairy square thing) lol I guess it tests various things? :)

Ok, so I think the card (or one of the cards on the "card") is dead, as when I enable multi-GPU (uses the whole card) instead of multi-display (which uses only 1 card of the two), then it runs worse, which normally would make it run better.

So I setup and RMA with eVGA. This 7900-series has been a headache to me.

Good news in, just installed the 750w modular PSU from Thermaltake, and it still didn't fix the problem, but it sure is nice. :)

could be a damaged graphics card pcb, maybe a component(s) have died or is on the way out

i wonder what its actual voltages are ?

are the psu rails reading stable under load, use MBM5 or ITE smart guardian for this ?

try RMA'ing the card

Wow....so this happened to me too. I turned on my computer today and tried to play CoD 2 and it looked like I barely was getting 10FPS. I ran 3dmark06 on default settings but decided it wasn't worth finishing the test, I imagine it would have scored around 3000 (from 10,100).

Anyway I tried everything suggested above and then some and nothing worked...so I'm reformating, I'll let you know how it turns out...

lmfao please please take this as a joke... BEING that im a AMD fan boy.... i think its conroe's fault... haha had too..

DeepSky said:
Wow....so this happened to me too. I turned on my computer today and tried to play CoD 2 and it looked like I barely was getting 10FPS. I ran 3dmark06 on default settings but decided it wasn't worth finishing the test, I imagine it would have scored around 3000 (from 10,100).

Anyway I tried everything suggested above and then some and nothing worked...so I'm reformating, I'll let you know how it turns out...

Yep, back to 10,500 after the reformat and windows install. Something must have got seriously fudged up on the software side of things.

Did you guys check the "link width" with cpu-z? My guess it dropped to 1x, it's supposed to be x16.

Attachments

• LW2.jpg
    LW2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 121
OnDborder said:
Did you guys check the "link width" with cpu-z? My guess it dropped to 1x, it's supposed to be x16.

How do I get it back up to x16? After formatting everything was fine again and scores were back to normal. But now after OC'ing and playing with speeds again my score is back to ****e.

Try setting the PCI Express freq to 110. There is a whole thread on this - changing the freq seems to be hit or miss. I do know that it is caused by oc.

killermiller said:
Try setting the PCI Express freq to 110. There is a whole thread on this - changing the freq seems to be hit or miss. I do know that it is caused by oc.

I tried changing mine to 100 and it didn't work. I read somewhere that it can be caused by too high of an OC on the NB. So I underclocked back to 334x9 and its back up to x16....sigh

Could you link me to that thread plz.

Last edited:
Here's one. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=480466
I backed my nb off from 1.65 to something lower. PCI ex frequency is set to 105-110, atm it's at 107.
I can't remember what the other voltages are set at but I know they're not topped out..
Every once in a while I'll notice that I'll have the 1x, a reboot usually takes care of that problem.
It's a known issue with the p5b boards.

DeepSky said:
I tried changing mine to 100 and it didn't work. I read somewhere that it can be caused by too high of an OC on the NB. So I underclocked back to 334x9 and its back up to x16....sigh

But did you try 110?

killermiller said:
But did you try 110?

Yep. Tried 110 and 115 (but no higher) with no positive result. Ended up upping the voltages on the NB and SB now no need for stupid restarts everytime it decides to set it to 1x, works everytime.

Back