• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Western Digital RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I recently started experiencing hiccups in my music software. It seemed related to times of high drive usage, so I did a SMART check on my WD1002FAEX (1TB Black) project drive and discovered some non critical errors (197 Current Pending Sector Count 198 Uncorrectable Sector Count) that could slow the drive's performance. Warranty check had the drive covered for another 2 years, so I RMA'd and they cross shipped me a new 2TB Black drive! Plus I got the same warranty through Sept 2015 :D. WD ftw. :thup:

I would have preferred to not have a drive start failing, but considering most of my drives have been WD for the past decade and this was maybe the second one to start failing out of dozens, I think that speaks volumes for their product.

Last edited:
I had a 2tb Western Digital Green go out on me they sent me out a new one put it in and it didnt work told me I had 396 minutes to format it so I called them and now they are 2nd day airing me another one been almost 2 weeks only running on my ssd drive

I was also very impressed - I had 640GB Western Digital Caviar Blue 2.5" that was broken, from a friend.

I sent them an RMA and received it back after a week and a half, new warranty, everything - brand new drive just like that.

Fantastic.

I got another bad drive from them talked to a supervisor about this being the third one to go out within 1 month so he upgraded me to a 3tb drive for free thanks western

I did call for RMA my 500 GB blue which is still working but failed their diagnostic test, they cross shipped after getting my credit card and I have 30 days to return my old drive.
But the replacement drivei received (which is exact same size and model) is clearly refurbished one, I have not checked warranty (-will check later) and scratched all around the plastic housing and label looks different than my original (very likely recreated label). What should I do???
Should I call and return that one or can't expect any better than the one i received??

I would call I was licky with all the problems I had they shipped out mine without a card they second day aired mine but then again I had recieved 2 drives that were bad as replacements

I did call for RMA my 500 GB blue which is still working but failed their diagnostic test, they cross shipped after getting my credit card and I have 30 days to return my old drive.
But the replacement drivei received (which is exact same size and model) is clearly refurbished one, I have not checked warranty (-will check later) and scratched all around the plastic housing and label looks different than my original (very likely recreated label). What should I do???
Should I call and return that one or can't expect any better than the one i received??

Typically you get a refurb on a warranty return. That's why getting a new drive is/was newsworthy.

I requested a new drive after recieving 2 bad 2tb drives from them they sent me out a new 3tb drive for my troubles and it was new at no cost to me

My drive was free (640GB WD Blue)...at least, as far as I can tell (which I'm pretty sure I can). No scratches, clean packaging, never even been initialized. Picked clean off the line.

Typically you get a refurb on a warranty return. That's why getting a new drive is/was newsworthy.

This is true. I have had to do two RMA's. Both times very fast turn around but both times I got a refurb.

WTH,
just checked warranty of replacement drive, and it says i have only 3 more months to go. How come Western Digital???
New drive Bought from Newegg on 5/12/11 arrived on 5/14/11.
RMA requested on 5/17/12, replacement drive arrived on 5/21/12, and this drive has warranty only until 9/13/12????
So, basically i am getting only 15 month warranty from a new Hard drive i bought from Newegg????

I went through the samething give it a couple of days to be updated they say it takes upto 48 hours to be updated in their system if they dont update call them they will take care of it

I went through the samething give it a couple of days to be updated they say it takes upto 48 hours to be updated in their system if they dont update call them they will take care of it

That was my experience as well, even had to update the first post in this thread because when I checked a few days later the warranty showed a full 3 years on the replacement drive.

I sent in a 600gb Raptor and a 1TB Caviar Black, both were replaced with recertified drives. Interestingly enough, zero issues with either. I do want to note that the Raptor was not damaged, rather my sata clip broke with light pressure. I have never had a raptor fail me.

On my 5th rma with Western since April have had 2tb greens go out on me then they upgraded me to a 3tb green and it started going out they over nighted me a 2tb black lets hope they got it right this time

WTH,
just checked warranty of replacement drive, and it says i have only 3 more months to go. How come Western Digital???
New drive Bought from Newegg on 5/12/11 arrived on 5/14/11.
RMA requested on 5/17/12, replacement drive arrived on 5/21/12, and this drive has warranty only until 9/13/12????
So, basically i am getting only 15 month warranty from a new Hard drive i bought from Newegg????

had to call them like 3-4 times, everytime had same lousy answer " i just did update status on our system, should be available to check online within 24 hours" and forget 24 hour no change after 2 weeks, called again, same answer. Finally called them again & after more than a month they did update warranty status. I will be getting warranty tansfered from my failed drive to this replacement one.

All of the ones I've owned have went beyond were they could be RMA'd I guess so "knock on wood" why I'm a WD fanboy.

I've had Barracudas, Maxtors, well probably tried most over the years, and once I started replacing them with WD's I guess I stopped buying a lot of the others because they didn't need to be replaced before I bought something as an upgrade, or have migrated them into my wifes or friends systems for the most part I guess.

I still ought to migrate these old Raptors out of here, they are probably bogging the system down a bit more than anything and get a SSD yet *shrug*

:)

I've had to RMA one WD drive. It was a cheap benching drive; only 80GB capacity. There were weeks left in its three year warranty period, if that. I submitted the RMA and came out smelling like roses with a brand new 120GB drive. It even came complete with a very prompt turnaround. I've got nothing but good stuff to say about WD. :thup:

Back