• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What 9800 Pro would you buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

Well here is my current build so far....

Kingwin-424-B-VM Case w/ 80mm Blowhole
ASUS P4C800 E Deluxe
P4 2.8C MO w/SP-94 Heatsink w/ 92mm Tornado Fan
Swiftech MCX159-P Chip Cooler for NB
1 Gig Corsair XMS 4000 Pro
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
2 WD 36.7 Raptors
Lite On LTR-52327S Black 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive, 2MB, OEM
LITE-ON XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK
MITSUMI D359M3 BLACK FDD 1.44MB 3.5INCH - OEM
ENERMAX Noisetaker EG475P-VE-SFMA. 470W

Just need to purchase my vid card and Windows XP Pro and I'm ready to boot this baby up

Here are the choices:

1) HIS EXCALIBUR ICEQ 256MEG DDR2 RADEON 9800PRO VIDEOCARD

2) ASUS Radeon 9800 Pro

3) Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro

4) ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

5) Hercules 3d Prophet 9800 Pro

Thanks for input.

They are poor overclockers as most of the time they go with cheaper memory.

They also just don't make amazingly great cards compared to ATI or Sapphire.

Both the Sapphire and the ATi are essentially the same stock board, and Sapphire makes quite a few cards for ATi anyways.
The Hercules is quite a nice card, with a different PCB and heatsinks on the memory.
Asus I believe is a stock PCB with a different cooler, and according to the Asus website, you get Halflife 2 free with the card.
HIS' card has a Arctic Cooling Silencer Heatsink/Fan combo, better than the ATi stock.

As the 256 MB of memory doesn't really make much of a difference at all with the 9800 Pro, the best choices IMO would be one of the ATi, Sapphire, or Hercules, whichever is cheaper. The HIS cooler is nicer than stock, but you can buy that easily for around $20 anyways.

Aslan said:
As the 256 MB of memory doesn't really make much of a difference at all with the 9800 Pro, the best choices IMO would be one of the ATi, Sapphire, or Hercules, whichever is cheaper. The HIS cooler is nicer than stock, but you can buy that easily for around $20 anyways.

That is true for now. But when HL2 and Doom3 are released, that might not be the case. I heard these games will fully utilize the 256 mb memory.

Back