• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are acceptable levels of packet loss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

96s10

None? 10%? Reason I ask is I'm dealing with TWC and it has been an absolute nightmare. When running PingPlotter I'm getting 20-50% packet loss on the first two hops which are both TWC RR servers. I'm just trying to see what goal I should have? Obviously zero would be great but is that reasonable?

You would think paying $65 a month you'd get better customer support than this.

0 is the answer. However, PING isn't the best tool to determine whether connectivity is good as some providers may rate limit it (some network gear may have a default policy to rate limit ICMP). However, generally speaking, you're correct, that close you shouldn't be dropping anything.

WG_Errors.jpg

Should I be using something other than PingPlotter? This is my $65 a month TWC Extreme service.

Try the regular ping command line utility.

Not sure I would trust that tool. If you are getting 25% packet loss to your first hop (in this case, it looks like your router), how come every packet to the second hop is fine? The packets have to go through your first hop to get there, and that system is dropping 1/4 of your packets.

You need to do some troubleshooting.

First, start with run a long ping against World Of Tanks. Leave it go for, say, 5-10min (use ping -t). Then see if you have any packet loss. If you have no packet loss, then you don't have a problem. If you do, then continue investigating.

Next try pinging your router. That should be an IP like 192.168.x.1. If you get packet loss, then it's either your router, network cable, or wireless. Troubleshoot that some more (switch to wired, reboot router, etc). If problem continues, call your ISP, and get their help troubleshooting your router.

If it's not the router, run a traceroute to WorldOfTanks and ping the next hop after your router -- probably the 24.88.x.y IP. That should be the first router on your ISP's side. If you get packet loss to that IP, then call your ISP, it's a problem with your Internet connection.

If there's no packet loss to your router or the first hop, but packet loss to WorldOfTanks, look for other people with the same issue (it could be a problem at WorldOfTanks side), otherwise, the only thing you can do is complain to your ISP, and hopefully they will open a ticket and their network team will investigate it.

Try running a ping and tracert to Google. Post the results here.

Back