• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are good boards for AMD cpus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

midiman

Hi i,m looking for some semi decent boards that will suit a range of AMD Cpus.

Asus appear to do a good range.

I,m looking for the following.

Something that can handle

FX cpus
Athlon II
Opteron

Low end value boards to mid value.

Thanks

To handle FX, that means you definitely need AM3+ socket boards. These will take athlon II as well as Opteron. Support for FX on non AM3+ boards can be poor, though some claim support for FX with a bios update - it typically is not stellar from what I have seen posted.
:welcome:

To handle FX, that means you definitely need AM3+ socket boards. These will take athlon II as well as Opteron. Support for FX on non AM3+ boards can be poor, though some claim support for FX with a bios update - it typically is not stellar from what I have seen posted.
:welcome:

So it would be best to go with a AM3+ board in most cases then?

Or should I opt for a non AM3+ board when working with Athlon II and Optertons?

Thanks

I'd definitely would only look at AM3+ boards. ASUS, ASRock, MSI and GIGABYTE are some good choices.

990x or 990fx?

What is the difference and does it matter when using a FX chip?

Should I go for the 990fx?

Thanks

Doesn't matter when using an FX chip.

The FX chipsets are an entirely separate things from the FX CPUs - generally FX chipsets are the high end, including the most features, usually designed more for enthusiasts or powerful desktop users.

Differences vary, but reading the mobo feature list will highlight the important differences.

If you are looking at value to mid value boards, then biostar should also be in your list of boards to consider.

What you want to do with the system, and the price point you want to hit determines what you should get - there is no universal right answer, so if you can give us more to work with we could recommend better for you. ;)

The FX chipsets are an entirely separate things from the FX CPUs - generally FX chipsets are the high end, including the most features, usually designed more for enthusiasts or powerful desktop users.

Differences vary, but reading the mobo feature list will highlight the important differences.

If you are looking at value to mid value boards, then biostar should also be in your list of boards to consider.

What you want to do with the system, and the price point you want to hit determines what you should get - there is no universal right answer, so if you can give us more to work with we could recommend better for you. ;)

I,m looking to build a few machines and possibly sell them on to my customers.

I want something that has USB3, Sata 3, and can handle the FX cpus. I only need SLI or Crossfire for the gaming machines.

Thanks

I,ve just been having a look at the chipset specs.

990FX Chipset

Has support for 4 GPU cards.

990X Chipset

Has support for 2 GPU cards.

970 Chipset

Support for 1 GPU cards.

Apart from that they all support Sata 3 and USB2.0 etc.

So it's only really the board specs I have to be worried about.

I think i would avoid the msi boards for the fx8120 and above, I have roasted two msi 990 boards with this cpu. the ones I am looking at are asus sabertooth and the asus rog extreme and the crosshair formula v.
digita vmr's, good heatsinks, atx form factor, over current protection onboard.

Two of those boards.

I think i would avoid the msi boards for the fx8120 and above, I have roasted two msi 990 boards with this cpu. the ones I am looking at are asus sabertooth and the asus rog extreme and the crosshair formula v.
digita vmr's, good heatsinks, atx form factor, over current protection onboard.

I think we all knew that one board had died. I did not imagine the board back from RMA died also?

the exchange gigabyte board and the fill in board all died of vrm failure.
3 dead boards, three dead fx8120's. this fill in msi board is dieing at stock clocks as we speak.

the exchange gigabyte board and the fill in board all died of vrm failure.
3 dead boards, three dead fx8120's. this fill in msi board is dieing at stock clocks as we speak.

I would greatly like to see what the OEMs are doing with the FX-Heater series. Shorten the warranty to 90 days. Hehehe. Oh well. Sorry man for your pains in RMA.

the rma thing is not so bad, three hour drive over to tiger direct, exchange it and home. the b*#$h of it is rebuilding two computers every week. the other to get my 955 out so I can update the new boards bios.
this saturday i am exchanging this msi thing for a sabertooth.

the rma thing is not so bad, three hour drive over to tiger direct, exchange it and home. the b*#$h of it is rebuilding two computers every week. the other to get my 955 out so I can update the new boards bios.
this saturday i am exchanging this msi thing for a sabertooth.

I am going to only pony up one minor consideration. I see the power supply showing in your signature. Now I know you have at least two setups and if both have a board doing the death thing...then there are two power supplies in the mix. BUT the mostest important thing is good, "clean" power for the VRMs to have to deal with. Noisy power supplies can deal their own death blows over time.

those boards all died in the same box, i dont mix the box's parts, my mind can't keep up with doing that. as a note, the first board started to die on a white box psu unit and it has been replaced.

be that as it may, the only boards i see for the fx are the sabertooth, rog extreme with higher rma rate, and the crosshair with a slightly higher rma rate than the sabertooth.
and around this here room I have 8 units total i use.

Back