• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the hottest games now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

I am a little out of the loop here.

On occasions I still play BF2 and counter-strike source, and mostly RTS games at LAN.

I like good large scaled warfare like BF2. But it is getting harder to find good servers (low ping, filled with 64 people, good map cycle, vehicles on, etc.)

What is the most popular FPS game out there right now that can replace BF2 for me?

A while ago I had tried COD4, and I didn't like the multiplay at all. I don't like too many people concentrated on small maps.

I also liked Never Winter Nights 1 and 2. Is there any new RPG game out there just like them?

Battlefield Bad Company 2 would be a great replacement for BF2. Plus its even getting an expansion December 21 I believe Bad Company 2 Vietnam.

Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls Oblivion would be good rpgs to look into.

maybe you should try The Witcher. I feel like that's pretty similar to neverwinter

Stay away from Fallout New Vegas. It's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 would be a great replacement for BF2. Plus its even getting an expansion December 21 I believe Bad Company 2 Vietnam.

Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls Oblivion would be good rpgs to look into.

I am a little confused with Bad Company 2.

The cover has modern weapons, M1 tanks, helicopters. Yet I was reading the game plot on wiki, and it says it's WWII.

Is Dragon Age DnD based?

I am a little confused with Bad Company 2.

The cover has modern weapons, M1 tanks, helicopters. Yet I was reading the game plot on wiki, and it says it's WWII.

Is Dragon Age DnD based?
There is a segment of that game which is a flashback to the WWII era, so some of the weapons carry over to multiplayer as well.

Bad Company 2 would probably be the closest replacement for BF2. The game is quite a bit of fun (best battlefield game imho) but its scaled back a bit from BF2 (32 people servers vs 64). Black Ops is also a great multiplayer game but you said you didn't like cod4 so you probably wouldn't like Black Ops much either.

BF2:BC2 just released 4 new maps too. They added rush to more of its maps a little while back as well.

I personally love BC2 compared to CoD:BO or CoD:MW2.

I don't like Call of Duty either. I prefer the team based and large maps of BF2/2142. I would say that honestly though BC2 is a step in the wrong direction for the BF series. It is a much more "dumped down" version of Battlefield, with less classes, less strategy, smaller maps and no commander. I would still recommend it though if you are bored with BF2. I enjoyed it, I just simply got bored of it 10x faster than BF2. Team Fortress 2 is also a TON of fun and is team based, but it is a much different style, that of Quake style FPS instead of more realistic. Rocket launchers, pyros, etc.

As for RPG, I have no idea what you have played. I love Bioware myself so you can't go wrong with ANYTHING from them. I was pleasantly surprised by the Mass Effect series. I thought it was going to be crappy because of the new IP and sci-fi based theme, but it was pretty epic.

Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and NWN. Bioware doesn't work with Atari anymore so it isn't D&D based. Still is great though.

Someone mentioned Fallout: New Vegas as being awful. I have no idea if they liked/played Fallout 3 but I love both games. I thought New Vegas was better than Fallout 3.

The Witcher was mentioned, I haven't played it yet but heard good things. I would try it out.

I don't like Call of Duty either. I prefer the team based and large maps of BF2/2142. I would say that honestly though BC2 is a step in the wrong direction for the BF series. It is a much more "dumped down" version of Battlefield, with less classes, less strategy, smaller maps and no commander. I would still recommend it though if you are bored with BF2. I enjoyed it, I just simply got bored of it 10x faster than BF2. Team Fortress 2 is also a TON of fun and is team based, but it is a much different style, that of Quake style FPS instead of more realistic. Rocket launchers, pyros, etc.

As for RPG, I have no idea what you have played. I love Bioware myself so you can't go wrong with ANYTHING from them. I was pleasantly surprised by the Mass Effect series. I thought it was going to be crappy because of the new IP and sci-fi based theme, but it was pretty epic.

Dragon Age: Origins is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate and NWN. Bioware doesn't work with Atari anymore so it isn't D&D based. Still is great though.

Someone mentioned Fallout: New Vegas as being awful. I have no idea if they liked/played Fallout 3 but I love both games. I thought New Vegas was better than Fallout 3.

The Witcher was mentioned, I haven't played it yet but heard good things. I would try it out.

I refused to buy Dragon Age. It was a $50 game that when it came out had DLC content available. Not only was it available, but there were quests in the game that they would tell you all about and then try to get you to buy the add-ons, directly from the game.

The premium $80(?) dollar version included all the DLC at launch. I'm not an arse about it or anything, but I don't want to see this become "normal". I am a huge bioware fan that actually STILL plays Baldur's gate 1 and 2 as well as all of the NWN's. I think in that case the only voting force that counts is $$$. Bioware won't be getting mine as long as they decide to charge full price for incomplete games while ransoming the rest of the content to you.

I refused to buy Dragon Age. It was a $50 game that when it came out had DLC content available. Not only was it available, but there were quests in the game that they would tell you all about and then try to get you to buy the add-ons, directly from the game.

The premium $80(?) dollar version included all the DLC at launch. I'm not an arse about it or anything, but I don't want to see this become "normal". I am a huge bioware fan that actually STILL plays Baldur's gate 1 and 2 as well as all of the NWN's. I think in that case the only voting force that counts is $$$. Bioware won't be getting mine as long as they decide to charge full price for incomplete games while ransoming the rest of the content to you.

Wasn't anywhere near $80. Your DA story is full of holes.

Yeah I can definitely understand that. I held off for a long time but then I saw the version that included all the DLC and an expansion for $25. It's a pretty good game so far, I find the battles more compelling when I have to stop and give orders to the whole party.

Wasn't anywhere near $80. Your DA story is full of holes.

It was 75$ at launch. I spent some time this weekend looking and was able to find forums to back that up but nothing official. The pre-orders look like they came with DLC but the standard "normal" version of the game did NOT.

They did some fishy stuff as well with that. Like the fact that if you wanted the storage locker you HAD to buy an expansion. What pissed me off the most was playing my buddy's copy at his place (that didn't have DLC) accepting a quest and suddenly being ejected to the main menu to go and purchase content for a game that wasn't 3 days old. IMHO those quests should not even be visible unless you have the DLC, teasing people into buying DLC's for a brand new game is just flat out - Not Cool.

Looks like we are discussing Dragon Age here, so i will put in my 2 cents as well.

I didnt like Dragon Age, and it wasnt the story, or the man-on-man love action you engage in (not my cup of tea either, but to each his/her own), it was the handholding i did not appreciate. If it was an open Sandbox game (ala GTA 3, SA; Oblivion/ Morrowind) i might have held it as an Elder Scroll equal. But its not. The graphics were excellent, for sure, but being forced into only performing one of 5 quests etc etc, i didnt like it.

I liked Oblivion/ Morrowind/Fallout 3, because i felt like the world went on around me, regardless where i was.

Dragon Age felt cheap in that respect. Oh, you have to travel to Forest A to advance the story (not that you could really explore Forest A either, its either you walk the party down path A, or path B, they both lead to the same conclusion. Or you could go to B,C,D or E for something else.

Oblivion felt to me like "I wonder what is over that mountain range? I know i could go to that city across the world, but im feeling like i just want to go hiking, maybe flex this staff of Lightning on some deer, or rabbits...".....10 mintues later...."OMFG!!!! I am half dead, what was that!!! There still on me.!!!!!!!"

Loading, Please Wait....

Which i loved!

Back