• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are your thoughts on this setup . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murdochs_mad

My main rig is feeling tired, overworked and under appriciated for a long time, so I've picked out components for her replacement. Please give me your thoughts?

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (Allendale) linky

Asus P5W DH Deluxe i975X linky

1GB (2x512) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 6400 linky

256mb XFX 7800GT linky

The motherboard states
"Please note this Motherboard will NOT support Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe without a Bios update"
I'm probably being thick, but does this mean I need to install a P4 chip, update the bios and then put in the Core2Duo?

The whole lot comes to £419.51 (better start saving:( )

I would kick that memory up to 2GB and/or look at maybe getting a 7900 series graphics card.

That mobo will work with your CPU. I had one running my E6400 and it's now running my dads E6600. One question, do you plan on upgrading the CPU later? If not, I don't see the need for that board. Something cheaper like an Asus P5B or Gigabyte DS3 would be just fine.

I picked the board because of the chipset, I fancy doing a bit of O/Cing in time and I think I read somewhere that the 975 chipset would be better, but I suppose the memory I have chosen wouldn't o/c a lot anyway. Personaly I like Gigabyte boards. Is it worth getting an E6300 rather than an E4300 (£10 more)

Last edited:
The 975 chipset performs slightly better with the 4mb cache chips. The E6300 has a low multi so you would need some high OCing memory to obtain the higher CPU frequency. The price drops are coming up on the 22nd, you may want to wait.

Back