• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what board for 939 170 Opteron other than the ASUS ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1eyedjak

I got an Asrock 939 dual sata but I am wondering if I could get better perfomance out of the cpu with a different board. I dont really want to overclock the chip.

I was going to look for a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 that was so popular but they are all $100+ on ebay..

what other choice was there ? I used to run DFI but I read all the good DFI for this 939 are all crapping out now due to age

I just dont have funds to change to newer chip / platform

Last edited:
If you're not overclocking, there's no sense in switching motherboards, you won't gain anything. At stock speeds, there's not more than a couple percent performance difference between the various 939 boards.

And actually, even if you were overclocking, the Asrock is one of the better 939 boards anyway.

If you can get ahold of one the old DFI LanParties with the N400 Chipset, that thing will scream for you.

Other than that, the only boards you are going to find laying around still are from ASUS. They have lasted the longest. You may be able to find a couple old Abit or MSI, but those boards were never that good for the 939 socket.

I still have my old lan party nf4 sli-dr expert sitting around, its an amazing board if you can get your hands on one. might turn mine into a file server or something.

I am still using (right now) my Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe Socket 939 mobo with the exact same proccy (Opteron 170). It's served me well OC'd at 2.6Ghz (on air) and runs Crysis very well with 2 BFG8800 GT OC cards.
I'm currently working on a new build but this complete system will be handed over to my son for gaming next as it is! 4 years and still runs like a champ! I paid $125 for the used mobo on EBay 4 years ago and I'd buy another one for the same money if it were me.

Back