• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Brand PSU is in the tops these Days

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of the top PSU's out there are made by either SuperFlower or Seasonic. If you're simply after a power supply thats nearly up with the best and reasonably priced check out the Silverstone Strider series.....

Geez, whats with me recomending so many manufacturers starting with S

SSSSSSSH!
Stop Selling Super Sekret Suppliers Silly!

Honestly, I have had more PSU's then I can count.

Corsair I have had zero issues with and I am currently running 1 650, 2 750, 1 850, and an OLD ~450 IIRC.

Zippy/Emacs makes Server grade PSU's but you WILL pay Server Grade prices. I have a 500w that has run everything I have thrown at it and never even complained once.

I refuse to even glance at Antec, or Tt, or a large # of other vendors.

Stick with Seasonic you wont be unhappy.

What's wrong with Antec? Some of antecs PSU's are Seasonic based anyway..

But the Antec High Current Pro series is one of the most over-spec'd series there is...

The HCP-1200 > Corsair AX1200 last I checked.

The HCP will happily run 1500W full loading.. The other units will run well over spec as well without caring too much.. Granted you don't REALLY want to do that; but they'll do it and still last a decent while..

Antecs Neo Eco/HCG (High Current Gamer) series are all based on the Seasonic ...Er.. S12? Or M12 platform? I forget. So.. Ya.

The True Power New series (the most recent) are decent PSU's as well.. :\

The only PSU I ever had fail was a first gen Antec TruePower 330W unit. Since then I've run any number of PSU's, all quality with the exception of a SkyHawk (on out recommended NOT TO BUY list) and some low end ThermalTake units which I keep around as spares.

My old Corsair GX520 from 5-6 years ago is happily powering a mates Core i7 based gaming rig and still going strong. Unsurprising as that was a Seasonic based model.

As I previously mentioned, I currently favour SuperFlower, Seasonic and Silverstone, in that order. SuperFlow PSU's have surpassed Seasonic in recent years. Silverstone is just there as they're good PSU's and excellent value for what you pay for them.

Ya. Superflowerrrr. =D. They're quieter and more efficient than a lot of equivalent Seasonic units. They're also generally a lot cheaper; especially here in Aus. Seasonic and Corsair are very hyped up brands and that is how they are marketed as well (price wise). So.. Yeah. They're not really the brands we recommend here.. Simply if nothing else for their price. :\

Ya. Superflowerrrr. =D. They're quieter and more efficient than a lot of equivalent Seasonic units. They're also generally a lot cheaper; especially here in Aus. Seasonic and Corsair are very hyped up brands and that is how they are marketed as well (price wise). So.. Yeah. They're not really the brands we recommend here.. Simply if nothing else for their price. :\

Probably mostly because oversea's everyone rebrands SuperFlower units so they cost more. We're lucky to actually be able to buy OEM SuperFlower units here. As I understand they can't be bought in the US.....

I'll never dis Seasonic. They consistently made some of the best PSU's in the world for about 10 years. Not something to sneeze at, but yeah, they're overpriced compared to SuperFlower. If I want to go cheaper again then my mid range-budget PSU tends to be Silverstone. Not quite as good as either of the aforementioned brands, but still up there, and generally cheaper too.

Modern Antec units, especially the HCP series, are absolutely fantastic.

Who makes a good 400-450Watt PSU? It seems like most people's "high end" offerings start around 600Watts or so - and that's power this particular rig will never need. I have the cheap 430-Watt TR2, and would like to invest in something much more bulletproof and "tried and tested" (this PC is used for live performance, so reliability is paramount).

I love my larger Seasonic 750Watt in my main rig, but I'm looking for a lower wattage Uber-Reliable PSU that still has some sort of fan to help with case ventillation, and the only Seasonic I found in that power range is 100% passive (no fan at all).

Rock on! :cool:

Corsair CX v2 430W is decent for that range. And cheap. Newegg if they still have it going; had a rebate so it ended up like 25 bucks lol. Or an Antec Neo Eco 450W.

There are others.. But I'm keeping it cheap here :p.

Who makes a good 400-450Watt PSU? It seems like most people's "high end" offerings start around 600Watts or so - and that's power this particular rig will never need. I have the cheap 430-Watt TR2, and would like to invest in something much more bulletproof and "tried and tested" (this PC is used for live performance, so reliability is paramount).

I love my larger Seasonic 750Watt in my main rig, but I'm looking for a lower wattage Uber-Reliable PSU that still has some sort of fan to help with case ventillation, and the only Seasonic I found in that power range is 100% passive (no fan at all).

Rock on! :cool:

In the 500W range your lookng to save some $, so this is where I'd look at a Silverstone Strider Essential series PSU for basic use, or a Silverstone Strider Plus series PSU if you want something a little stronger. They're priced just right and are of excellent quality.

Going above 500W I'd be looking at Seasonic or SuperFlower, but they're in a different price range

I'd actually advise against the Silverstone Essential 500W.. Simply because it's not sleeved :p. All those loose wires.. I can't handle it Lol

It's quite possibly the best unit in that range though. The PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mark III 600w was solid (I reviewed it), if there is a lower wattage flavor it probably is as well.

I'd actually advise against the Silverstone Essential 500W.. Simply because it's not sleeved :p. All those loose wires.. I can't handle it Lol

Wire sleeving is nothiing more than aesthetics. Serves no real purpose. If you're after a solid good quality budget unit, you can't really do better.

It's quite possibly the best unit in that range though. The PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mark III 600w was solid (I reviewed it), if there is a lower wattage flavor it probably is as well.

Almos impossible to get in Australia so I'm afraid I can't comment. I've no experience with them, though I daresay if you've reviewed it thats good enough for me. :D

TBH - anything over 400Watts is overkill for the system in hand (2500K with HD3000 & 8GB RAM, 1SSD/1HD, 1 RME PCIe Audio Card, and a few fans). I just saw that Directron here in Houston is a SuperFlower dealer! I just e-mailed them as SuperFlower PSU's don't seem to be listed on their website (probably special order - that's fine).

I might try to get into one of those SuperFlowers as price is not a concern for this particular PC (Uptime/reliability and ruggedness are paramount, bar none, as this is a "Live Performance" PC that will see all kinds of torture on the road and simply MUST WORK, although we do have a complete backup rig "ready to rock and roll").

:cool:

Well. I want the Enermax Modu 87+/Lepa G 500W unit.. Would be PERFECT for my needs.. BUT. No Aus distributor will get them. Lol. The main one I use I emailed and asked about them; and they won't get them in.. Sadface.

Back