• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What color tubing should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePyroChemist

Hey guys, this is my first post. I am doing my first water cooling build here very soon, and I am really wondering what color tubing I should use. I am thinking I am going to make this a Venom (Marvel) themed build. There is gonna be a Venom logo on the front panel, with the spider legs wrapping around the sides (well, one of the sides, since one of the panels is windowed.)

I changed cases here a few days ago to something small that could still support water cooling, to the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX. I chose the version that has a red interior, and a black exterior. At this point, for a Venom themed build, I am thinking one of these four colors: Black, Red, White, or Silver. There is a lot of red, a bit more than I expected, so I am not sure.

The pump has to go in the top chamber, instead of down with the power supply. It'll be going up at the front, and the rad will probably be mounted up top. About a foot and a half to two feet of 0.5" tubing, to give a sense of how much.

Pictures:

Attachments

• WP_20151209_003[1].jpg
    WP_20151209_003[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,208
  • WP_20151209_002[1].jpg
    WP_20151209_002[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,322
  • WP_20151211_001[1].jpg
    WP_20151211_001[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
  • WP_20151211_006[1].jpg
    WP_20151211_006[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 272
Yup, black as well. That's way too much red as you'll usually want the highest contrast colors to be the things that stick out but in smaller increments. That's just how I see it though as everyone has different taste.

I can take the shelf/bracket towards the front of the case off, and paint it. So, do you guys think I should paint it to offset some of the red?

Attachments

• WP_20151211_008.jpg
    WP_20151211_008.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 235
  • WP_20151211_007.jpg
    WP_20151211_007.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 247
I'm thinking black tube also.
on paint, lets wait and see how the pump/res breaks it up.

One more question, before I do anything. What about black coolant? I have never liked the look of a res that just has clear water. I don't think there would be too much of an issue with staining, since the tubes will already be black. Is this a good idea?

Maybe it would be safer to add a black or red plastic tint to the reservoir, keeping the coolant as simple as possible tends to be the safest option.

Like some con-tact brand adhesive vinyl paper. Comes in lots of colors. All you gotta do is peel the backing off and stick it. Peeling off is a little tougher, but it's vinyl plastic so it'll come off. It can be found practically anywhere like your local hardware store or walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Con-Tact-Covering-Self-Adhesive-Privacy-18-Inches/dp/B00D8GBO2G

As for dyes; it's best just to use distilled water and biocide.

No, we advocate Distilled water and a biocide. Get black tubing. It's the staining of the rad, the clogging of the blocks etc. Please read up on it here. It's been a discussion here for for ohh, 7 years?

Not that I think you need any more red in your case but you could always get a colored reservoir. I could only find a picture with a red tube but I know I have seen them smoked black before as well.

sidewindercomputers_2266_593287875.jpg

You have a little bit of white showing (power supply and hard drive), so some white tubing will look nice as an offset color.

The white from the HDD's is going to be hidden by the metal piece.

Alright, so I think I'm gonna take you guys' advice and go with black for the time being. I have an idea for the reservoir, we'll see how it turns out. I'll post pics on here as soon as I can giving an update.

The white from the HDD's is going to be hidden by the metal piece.

Alright, so I think I'm gonna take you guys' advice and go with black for the time being. I have an idea for the reservoir, we'll see how it turns out. I'll post pics on here as soon as I can giving an update.

Great! Will be looking forward to those pics! :thup:

Ok, small update. Parts are on the way, but I got this in the mail today. I mounted my HDD on top of the small shelf. This let me remove the hard drive cage from the lower chamber, and I am going to put the pump down there instead, since pumps aren't really the best looking, as far as components go. I am thinking that I am going to mount the res in the back, where the AiO rad/fan currently is, and have the new 120mm radiator up front, right in front of the pump, also in the lower chamber.

I am going to be getting a 280mm or 240mm rad to put in the top at some point in the future, not sure if I said that earlier, but I'm not going to leave the cooling to the single 120mm. Also, obviously, I painted the HDD black. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• WP_20151218_001.jpg
    WP_20151218_001.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 219
  • WP_20151218_004.jpg
    WP_20151218_004.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 207
  • WP_20151218_005.jpg
    WP_20151218_005.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 184
Alright, I'm finished. I had to make a few changes to the layout, due to space constraints. That's just something you got to deal with when working with miniITX. I moved the hard drive back down into the basement, so I could fit the reservoir into the only place it would fit. Because of this, I had to put the pump right next to the res. The rad had to go in the back, as it would not fit in the front.

I also made a slight mistake of mixing up the in/out of the cpu block. It's not too big of a problem, but I'll fix it soon.

Overall, I think it came together very nicely.

Attachments

• WP_20160106_006.jpg
    WP_20160106_006.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 220
  • WP_20160106_008.jpg
    WP_20160106_008.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 185
Venom has always been my favorite since I was a little kid, I love the build! Looks great.

Back