• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What did I do wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

padmaster

I built a new system a couple of months ago with one Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD.
I reinstalled all software and life was good. Then I decided I wanted to get another Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD
with the intent of creating a RAID 1 (mirror) setup. Installed second SSD and realized I would probably need to
start from scratch to do a RAID setup but just didn't want to fool with it at the time. So I just created a new volume
on the second SSD and cruised along with a dual SSD setup.

Then I got the itch to try out Windows 10. So I created a bootable USB and proceeded to install Windows 10 on the second SSD.
When it booted up from the USB it came up with the window showing the drives and partitions. When I clicked on any of the drives/partitions, it told me it could not install on that drive. I'm guessing because those were already defined under my main Windows 7 install. So the logical thing to do is just delete the partitions on the second SSD right? Well, it worked, I got Windows 10 installed, but apparently the first SSD no longer had any data on it. I lost everything. I am certain I selected the second SSD when I installed Windows 10. After installing Windows 10 I was expecting Windows to ask me which system to boot to, windows 7 or windows 10. It didn't. So I unplugged the SSD that had windows 10 on it and tried to boot from the first SSD and it said boot manager missing. I'm not sure what went wrong. Any suggestions are appreciated.

So moving forward, and now that I have to reinstall everything anyway, I really would like to setup a RAID mirror on the two SSD's. I played around with it last night and got really confused. First of all, the ASUS make disk utility only gives me the option to make a XP raid driver disk. Even though I can browse the CD and there are many other RAID drivers on the CD. So I decided to just try loading the RAID drivers from the ASUS CD during installation. I set my drives to RAID in the BIOS and booted from Windows 7, clicked on load drivers, put in the Asus CD and selected the win7 64 drivers. But when I go into define the Raid array, the screen is nothing like what the Asus manual describes. I never could figure out how to get it setup.

Does anyone know of a step by step tutorial on setting up a RAID1 on two SSD's? Anyone know of an updated Asus manual? I looked on their website and the manual there is just like the one that came with the MB (A88X-Pro).

Stumped :-/

Sounds like your MBR got moved or overwritten.

Do you have the RAID driver to use for the install?

Can you take a picture of what you see on the RAID setup?

Yes I can but right now I'm frantically trying to salvage what little I have left of my files. Over the weekend I purchased some data recovery software.
I scanned the drive and it found all of the files, so I restored them to a separate drive. Unfortunately when I try to open any of the files, it says they are corrupt.

Looks like I have pretty much lost everything that was on my SSD's and the HDD that was in my system. Only files I have left are the files I had on my thumb drives.
I do contract work from home (printed circuit board layout) and I have lost about 7 years worth of job files. I have also lost my Quicken files I used for personal finance and billing jobs.

I just want to throw up :(

ATMINSIDE, give me a day or so to gather my thoughts and I'll attempt to setup the RAID again.
I setup a RAID many moons ago on a couple of 120gb drives so I'm not a complete newb at it.
But ultimately I decided it was taking too much of a toll on system performance.
I think it will be different with SSD's.

And thanks for the replies :)

Back