• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What differences would I see if I jump from 1600 to 2400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Starcraft is game which bases mainly on CPU speed so also cache/memory bandwidth. There are other games that will show improvements at higher memory clock but most games won't show even 1 FPS more above 1866.
There are also other things that can affect memory performance as lower clocked memory at tight timings can be faster than higher clocked at more relaxed timings.
Also single and double sided kits show some differences. You can compare performance of 2133 double sided Hynix to 2666 single sided and that you can actually see in physics tests in 3DMark while many new games use physics calculations so should affect some games too.

Starcraft is game which bases mainly on CPU speed so also cache/memory bandwidth. There are other games that will show improvements at higher memory clock but most games won't show even 1 FPS more above 1866.
There are also other things that can affect memory performance as lower clocked memory at tight timings can be faster than higher clocked at more relaxed timings.
Also single and double sided kits show some differences. You can compare performance of 2133 double sided Hynix to 2666 single sided and that you can actually see in physics tests in 3DMark while many new games use physics calculations so should affect some games too.
Exactly... there are always exceptions to the rule. :thup:

It really doesn't apply to this case and I may not even be remembering correctly, However I believe I read that the faster RAM does make a difference with AMD's APU's in regard to running dual graphics. I have been building some workstation rigs at work and I am using the APU's so I did some research on them and I thought that was one of the things I read. Not using Dual graphics on any of those builds so I just went with 1600 Ram.

I was just thinking about asking a question similar to this post. As I am still in the works of ordering the parts for my computer, the ram is on of the last things to buy. Would faster ram help with rendering? Like autoCAD, autodesk, sketchup, etc?

Everything that uses lot of RAM will perform better on fast RAM.
Most games are not using lot of RAM so barely any game is showing higher performance on higher clocked RAM.
I wish to see some SQL tests with large databases on low and high clocked RAM.

Back