• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I need to create wifi from ethernet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rsq_c

Disabled
  • I just moved into a new residence that provides an internet connection through an ethernet connection. Currently, I have an old Apple Macbook (circa 2007) connected to the ethernet. Using the Macbook's built-in Airport Extreme network card, I can share the internet connection via wi-fi.
  • The wi-fi needs to be accessible only one room away from the source (through one wall and about 8m distance)
  • I managed to procure an old desktop running Ubuntu. I'd like to use this desktop to "host" (share) the wi-fi connection rather than the Macbook. Unfortunately I don't know much about the hardware.
  • What hardware will I need to install into the Ubuntu machine? It currently has only a regular network card with an ethernet port, so I assume it can't create any wifi network.
  • For example, can I use one of these USB Wireless adapters? Will this allow me to create the wifi network? Is there something extra that you need to create a wifi network, rather than just join one?
  • Please do advise me about what to buy (I live in the UK) or things to look out for.

Last edited:
You don't need a server or any computer to share a WIFI connection. What you want is a WIFI router. There is a huge range of options available, ranging in price from very cheap to very expensive. For your needs you don't need anything fancy.

I suggest you have a look at some of the Linksys routers. They're made by Cisco and have a very good reputation. They're easy to setup and should come with all the instructions to get you going.

You don't need a server or any computer to share a WIFI connection. What you want is a WIFI router. There is a huge range of options available, ranging in price from very cheap to very expensive. For your needs you don't need anything fancy.

I suggest you have a look at some of the Linksys routers. They're made by Cisco and have a very good reputation. They're easy to setup and should come with all the instructions to get you going.

Thanks. I did realize that one way to go was to get a wifi router. However, I may want to do it through a computer in any case, because I want that desktop running with wifi. So I could get a router for £20-£30, but is there an equal option to just duplicate what my Macbook is doing on the desktop?

This would save me from having to install separate wifi functionality on the desktop.

Buy a PCI or USB WIFI adapter for the desktop, then you only need 1 router which you leave permanently on and all your devices can connect to it. WIFI adapters are cheap.

All your WIFI enabled devices should then be able to connect to that router (laptop, gaming consoles, phone, desktop, tablet computers etc).

So what you want is 2 things:

1. A WIFI enabled router (any computer store should sell them).
2. A USB or PCI/PCIE WIFI adapter for your desktop (this is NOT a router, it just enables you to connect to an EXISTING WIFI network).

I agree a wifi router is the best route. Lower power and always on.

However, he stated he really wants to do it with the desktop, so thats what we should explain I think. :)

Buy a PCI or USB WIFI adapter for the desktop, then you only need 1 router which you leave permanently on and all your devices can connect to it. WIFI adapters are cheap.

All your WIFI enabled devices should then be able to connect to that router (laptop, gaming consoles, phone, desktop, tablet computers etc).

So what you want is 2 things:

1. A WIFI enabled router (any computer store should sell them).
2. A USB or PCI/PCIE WIFI adapter for your desktop (this is NOT a router, it just enables you to connect to an EXISTING WIFI network).

Thanks for this information. In regards to point 2, what is so special about the Macbook Airport Express that allows it to create a wifi network (and act as a router) in contrast to using a USB adapter?

I agree a wifi router is the best route. Lower power and always on.

Other than those to advantages, anything else advantageous about using a router?

However, he stated he really wants to do it with the desktop, so thats what we should explain I think. :)

Yes, please do. I do want to know all my options.

Just did a little quick reading. First thing you will want to do is be sure you are on Ubuntu 11.10, and if not, update to it.

Then, you'll need to get a wireless adapter that has a Linux driver which supports master mode. I would ask for help figuring out which linux wireless drivers support master mode in the alternative OS section, or I'd google and hope it wasn't that hard - this is the tricky part maybe.

Once you have the right adapter with proper driver support, you then go to system settings, network, wireless and there will be an option for creating a hotspot. Select "use as hotspot" and you are rolling from there.

Other advantages to using a router are that they are more robust, and built for the purpose. They do things like have a built in firewall, port forwarding, and have other features some users may find useful in a networking device. You may be able to implement those same features on your desktop, but typically, hotspot functionality is probably pretty limited... And it might be buggy. Not sure on the limitations or bugginess, but most people don't go that route, so its probably not well supported or debugged.

Just did a little quick reading. First thing you will want to do is be sure you are on Ubuntu 11.10, and if not, update to it.

Then, you'll need to get a wireless adapter that has a Linux driver which supports master mode. I would ask for help figuring out which linux wireless drivers support master mode in the alternative OS section, or I'd google and hope it wasn't that hard - this is the tricky part maybe.

Once you have the right adapter with proper driver support, you then go to system settings, network, wireless and there will be an option for creating a hotspot. Select "use as hotspot" and you are rolling from there.

Other advantages to using a router are that they are more robust, and built for the purpose. They do things like have a built in firewall, port forwarding, and have other features some users may find useful in a networking device. You may be able to implement those same features on your desktop, but typically, hotspot functionality is probably pretty limited... And it might be buggy. Not sure on the limitations or bugginess, but most people don't go that route, so its probably not well supported or debugged.

Thanks. I placed an order for this Edimax EW-7711UAn USB wireless dongle. It was recommended here and looks to be okay compatible with Ubuntu.

I'm assuming it can be used to create a hotspot via the manufacturer's page:
Supports WPS-compatible (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) is a standard for easy and secure establishment of a wireless network. This wireless USB adapter supports software WPS-compatible configuration and hardware WPS push button. When both ends of the wireless connection use wireless solution with WPS, it will automatically configure the wireless network with robust WPA data encryption and authentication.

Either way, it's better for me to get this first. If it fails, then I can always get a router.

Thanks for this information. In regards to point 2, what is so special about the Macbook Airport Express that allows it to create a wifi network (and act as a router) in contrast to using a USB adapter?

To be honest I wouldn't have a clue since I don't pay any attention to anything made by Apple.

No offence, but if you need to ask these sorts of questions regarding setting up a router, then setting up a computer as a router is probably something that you shouldn't be doing as it's likely to cause you more problems than what it's worth.

ubuntu will do all these features out of the box, and probably the same as a consumer router will do.

the only difference is that you will probably want some sort of wireless antenna if you need to be further away than your current need.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router

I would avoid the auto-hotspot thing and do the real router setup, but you can try it either way you like.

edit: changed "better" to "the same" after i thought about it for a minute

Thanks. I placed an order for this Edimax EW-7711UAn USB wireless dongle. It was recommended here and looks to be okay compatible with Ubuntu.

I'm assuming it can be used to create a hotspot via the manufacturer's page:

Either way, it's better for me to get this first. If it fails, then I can always get a router.

If you can cancel your order, you may want to do that. I couldn't find anything more current, but this post specifically mentions master mode not being supported well by the driver on RT2870 (the post is 2 years old, so that very well could have changed):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8731477&postcount=7

I would rather find a similar post to that, stating a specific model wireless chipset, that master mode is known to work with... then I'd buy that model if I were you.

Wireless compatibility is one thing. Master mode is something separate, and critical to having AP mode working. I didn't see anything on the manufacturers page claiming it would work as an Access Point on Linux.

ubuntu will do all these features out of the box, and probably much better than a consumer router will do.

the only difference is that you will probably want some sort of wireless antenna if you need to be further away than your current need.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router

I would avoid the auto-hotspot thing and do the real router setup, but you can try it either way you like.

True, I wouldn't argue that. But I also know I've spent a lot of time and effort getting things to work well under Linux the way I want, and maybe everyone isn't as eager to get their hands dirty.

Last edited:
It took me several hours (read: a whole saturday) to get my linux router working the way I liked. I started with very little knowledge of linux networking and I wanted to do it myself.

It's probably not for the faint of heart, and some basic linux knowledge is recommended. Following the tutorial word for word will probably not work perfectly.

Some further details, noting the complications, with getting the right wireless adapter that supports master mode under Linux:

There are very few 802.11N USB adapters with chipsets that clearly support master mode on free software platforms. The situation is rapidly deteriorating as chipset manufacturers have not released source code or specifications in many years. One place to purchase a compatible adapter is http://www.thinkpenguin.com/. http://linuxwireless.org/ also maintains a list of adapters and information on master mode compatibility. This list can be very misleading as most adapters which had a compatible chipset have been long discontinued.

Ref: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/MasterMode

Thanks for betting me to this IMOG. As a general reference good chipsets are atheros and intel for wifi. If it's realtek or broadcom you need to check as some are fully support others not so much :-/

Thank you for adding that in as well. I wanted to say realtek sucked (based on my experience), but I wasn't confident enough to say what was better and what was worse.

If you can cancel your order, you may want to do that. I couldn't find anything more current, but this post specifically mentions master mode not being supported well by the driver on RT2870 (the post is 2 years old, so that very well could have changed):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8731477&postcount=7

IMOG, thanks for this. I did end up cancelling the order the morning I read your reply.

I ended up doing more research, and today confirmed that the TP-Link WN722N adapter should work virtually out of the box in master mode for the newest version of Ubuntu (12.10): see here.

So I have just put in my order on amazon and we shall see how it goes once it arrives.

Back