• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you guys use to keep dust out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

What do you use to keep that pesky, insulating dust out? Fan filters, socks, whatever other crazy ideas you have. I'm going to be building a comp this winter and was wondering what do you use to keep dust out and what works well. I could really use some advice. I will have 2 80mm front intakes, 2 80mm back exhaust, 1 80mm PSU, and 1 80mm side intake.

thanks,
Kent

Some people I heard use drier sheets. I use "The Web electrostatic replacement pad". It has 3 separate layers. The coarse layer faces out. Got mine at a home center.

Fan Filters, They do limit the amount of Dust that gets in your computer. But also while decreasing the amount of Airflow that gets in there also. But not ALOT of airflow is being Decreased. Im saying go with Filters on this one.

Nothing... but I'm married to the canned air... Costed me a fortune but my buddy gave me his old compressor, bit loud, works great though for cleaning everything out.

Fan filters & monthly cleaning is what I do, filters don't catch everything & I probably like things a little bit cleaner than Joe Sixpack.

I run heavy negative airflow and I use good ole' pantyhose to keep the dust out! :)

It works quite well, and if you have black pantyhose, it can be fairly stylish :D It's the ~now~ these days. Its vouge

p.s Im not kidding :)

EluSiOn said:
Best why to keep dust out?

Vaccum your case every week.

Eeek! You'd wanna be careful with that. If its an old belt driven vacuum, it can generate a lot of static electricity :eek:

When using a vacuum cleaner, make sure its well grounded.

lazerin said:
I run heavy negative airflow and I use good ole' pantyhose to keep the dust out! :)

Just make sure you really stretch the panty hose out. If you don't you drastically reduce air flow.

lazerin said:

heavy negative airflow means it would suck dust in all the cracks, right?

i just use a dryer sheet over my front two intake fans. I have a slightly negative pressure, so dust still gets in my case, but nowhere near as bad as it did. I just use canned air every now and then.

stool said:
Just make sure you really stretch the panty hose out. If you don't you drastically reduce air flow.

So true! When I first made my duct, i used pantyhose, and when I placed the filters on, my temps rose by 5C!!

What I have now is a frame made of wooden dowels that is the size of the fan which i want to filter (eg 80 x 80). Then I strech the pantyhose really really really tightly around it and staple it onto the wooden dowel. Works like a charm :)

i use thouse in vent filters from homedepot ( i workt there)

i was thinking about modding it to handel a 12*12 3m filter but i dont know yet

Clean your room:D

Sorry, sometimes I just can't help myself:)

I clean things up every quarter or so, in rotation. And if temps go up the first thing I look for is dirty fans and heatsinks, but usually things hold up ok until I get around to my quarterly cleaning.

I use a bit of canned air, but mostly I use a soft bristle paintbrush: cleans fans, sinks and the motherboards up just fine.

Filter Grill!! :) ... 200CFM intake and 128CFM exhaust, since all intakes are filtered, probably losing 33% of CFM, this gives around 132CFM after filtered :) ... still good enough, and dust free !!! :) .. since I almost never vacuum my room, the PC does the job as well :) ... hehehehe ...

Hmmm... I have 3 fans that are completley jammed up with dust! (not inside my puter, lol)

I can barely turn them wiv my finger!

Go to the store and buy some black women's pantyhose. Stretch a section over the fan, put a ring of superglue around it.

Done deal. No more dust.

If they need cleaned hit them from the outside with the vacuum.

Quick, Simple, Cheap.

Back