• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think about this build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RE91

Hello!
I am planning to build new PC as i sold my earlier scrap.

PSU: Corsair 1200W AX1200i, Digital ATX2.31-PSU 80+ Platinum
CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7-4930K LGA 2011 3.4GHz 12MB boxed
CPU Cooler: Noctua Processor cooler NH-D15, LGA115x/2011(775/1366), AM2(+)/AM3(+)/FM1/FM2(+)
GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 290X Windforce 3 4GB GDDR5 2xDVI/HDMI/DP PCI-E 3.0
RAM: None yet
MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme, LGA2011, Intel X79, DDR3, E-ATX
CASE: Corsair Carbide Air 540 Cube High airflow ATX

Rest:
Headset: Plantronics GameCom 780, 7.1 Surround Headset, USB
Visual: Oculus Rift
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Gaming Mouse
Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (refresh)
Computer itself is probably 2600€ and the rest are 600€
Currently i have around 800€, but i think i am going to wait for DDR4 and better CPUs maybe. And probably gonna switch that motherboard too for one that can use M2 SSD, supports DDR4 and new CPU and add 512GB M2 SSD to my list.

I am having hard time to choose what parts to use.
Your thoughts?

First, that is an impressive build. Second, what is the purpose of the machine? I ask that as there are a couple of areas where you can save a ton of cash if this is primarily a gamer...

Regardless if it is a gaming machine or not, that motherboard, while awesome, is massive overkill as it is essentially made for extreme (Dry Ice/LN2) overclocking. So there are a ton of features you are paying for but will not be using. Spend about half and get ASUS P9X79 or something similar.

If this is primarily a gamer, you can drop down to Z97 and 4770K and save hundreds.

You also have a 1.2KW PSU for a PC that won't pull over 450W. If you plan on getting two 290x's a 850W PSU is still PLENTY and will allow overclocking as well.

This is for multipurpose.
Mainly gaming + streaming, also video editing (adobe aftereffects & Adobe Premier), Photoshopping. And i usually have multiple programs and sometimes but rarely even multiple games on at the same time. I am not too much into overclocking as i usually end up into BSOD or unstability due my hardware are usually already overclocked.
Sad mainpoint for this machine is that i am planning it to be futureproof and last long till i need to update it.

Thanks for your answer :)
I should be buying parts atleast when oculus rift is coming out. early 2015 i guess?

I should be buying parts atleast when oculus rift is coming out. early 2015 i guess?
Let's talk in 2015 then. in 7 months, the entire landscape will change. New CPU's, new GPU's, new motherboards, will out be out then. To start discussing it now is premature at best if you are buying 7+ months later.

Agreed. Come back RIGHT before you are ready to buy. Get advice and the actual parts within a week or 2 of eachother. New stuff comes out all the time and Broadwell will be out by the end of the year. You may want to build on that. I agree that for your purposes, a hex core is a better choice than a quad core. If you would not mind 'reducing' your demands on your system a little bit (ie, only running 1 game at a time, etc), a cheaper quad core could be just fine for you.

See you in 2015!

Back