• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner in overclocking need help with i7-7820X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ataakca

Hi all,

I have never had any experience with either CPU or GPU overclocking, therefore need some help with my first ever experience. I have read a full guide and review on my CPU written by Shawn Jennings (Johan45). I have to say I am not very capable of understanding everything told on the review.

To be honest, because this is going to be my first ever overclocking experience, I need an expert opinion on what to do and how to do it. I trust you all on this one.

Here is my system:

Case: NZXT H700i Mid-Tower
Cooling: NZXT Kraken X72
MoBo: Asus ROG Strix X299-E Gaming
CPU: Intel I7-7820X
GPU: Nvidia Titan XP Collector's Edition
PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Modular
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster ZX
M2 SSD: 2 x 250GB Samsung 960 EVO
HDD: 2 x 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz
Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG248Q
Mouse: BenQ Zowie EC2-A
Pad: BenQ Zowie G-SR
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow v2 Orange Switch

If you can be clear on the steps of explanation it would be really much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm short on time at the moment but basics of overclocking:
Use a software like HWinfo64 and monitor your CPU under some type of stress test real bench is a good one for most people, there's also Prime95 if you really want to stress it out. This will give you an idea of where to start with voltage at a certain clock speed. You can set the multiplier in BIOS as well make sure you have set the XMP for your RAM. You want to keep the CPU under 90°C. Getting up to 4.5 on that CPU should be fairly easy after that it takes time and patience adjusting voltages and testing for stability if you still have thermal headroom add voltage untill you can finish the stress test then up the multiplier and try again. Wish I could elaborate more but I just don't have the time tonight.

Find a stress test or two that are quick and will give you an idea if you're okay or went too far on the overclock. You can do Prime95 for rock steady stability testing later when you think you have an good overclock. Now, before you overclock, run your stress test and see what your load temps are at. Make notes, so you'll remember. I don't have that motherboard, but I do have an Asus, so it's somewhat similar. I'll see if I can find you an O/C guide for that motherboard. All the overclocking will be done by changing BIOS settings.

Maybe try reading this one first and start getting intimate with your BIOS. Almost all of the overclocking will be done in one of the advanced BIOS menus.

https://www.tutureview.com/2017/08/7899.html

Last edited:
Johan45 thank you very much for your quick response despite being short of time.. and batboy, this is an amazing guide and I will most definitely try it out tomorrow. Much appreciated thank you very much my man!

Back