• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.0GHz Overclock on i7-9700k - Adaptive Voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That seems like a silly setting... wow. I'd leave that disabled personally. Good for noobs maybe?? Enthusiasts monitor these things and/or keep their system clean/optimal.

Agreed. But it's tied at the hip with the ASUS AI overclocking settings the way to disable it is to tell it to stop measuring the cooler. At that point the score would become static. However the confidence rating still impacts the AI overclock at that point. If you roll back Der8auer's OC video he talks about it.

I guess 'stop measuring the cooler' and disable is the same thing. Seems like its cut and dry, no? Disable/stop measuring and move on? how does disabling it/stop measuing it hold overclocks back?

When I have 20+ minutes, I will take a look at the video... ;)

I started with what wingman suggested and I tried to only mess with adaptive voltage but I found that the "cooler score" and "optimism" settings have a direct impact on the AI on my ASUS board (video helped me understand what was going on).
From what I understand, most people lock the "cooler score" down when they are confident in their cooler. What further impacts the AI overclock on my system is that "optimism" setting on ASUS. (sorry it's optimism not confidence. confidence is for screwing in your motherboard....)
If you lock the cooler measurement, the "optimism" number impacts how agressive the AI is with your overclock. For instance If I reload bios defaults and look at the AI settings it thinks it can get a 5.2 GHZ overclock on low voltage. I bought my CPU as a lottery looser for $400 so that is never gonna happen regardless of voltage. So what Asus requires is that you run a benchmark/stress test at default settings to teach the AI about your system, then engage the AI.
I personally think it's a cool option. Not sure how other manufacturers implement AI/OC.

Again, this may be cool for noobs and protection, but I see it just getting in the way, like it appears to be, for manual overclocking. I don't have an Asus Z390 board handy to test anything though, sorry.

But we are Overclockers.com Why are we using Ai to overclock? It should be a manual overclock through and through!!! Drop the training wheels! :borg: :comp: :rock:

:) I like the idea of the system only feeding my CPU with the voltage it needs at the demand it's getting. Seems efficient.
Also the CPU I adopted needs training wheels, a helmet, and it arrived on a short delivery truck. Overclock challenged CPUs need love too.

Auto tends overvolt in favor of stability. Maybe this 'method' will trim some of that fat, but manual overclocking should always yield the least amount of voltage to be stable at a given clock speed.

This won't help OC challenged chips. Poo is still poo no matter how it's sliced!

Just an FYI the cooler rating shot up to 200 this evening and it tried to do a 5.2 GHZ overclock and failed. Back to static settings but it was fun to play with. It was also interesting to see what the system thought that the CPU needed for stable OC. Wasn't that high. Your suggestion to disable the training on the cooler was a good one. Would have saved me some trouble.

Last edited:
Back