• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.0GHz Overclock on i7-9700k - Adaptive Voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katulen

Hey Overclockers.

I've used the last few days working alot on getting stable on 5.0GHz.
Now im wondering how I can work towards getting this stable with adaptive voltages, so I have lower voltages when idling.

This is my system specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K / 3.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72
MOBO: Asus Rog Strix Z390-F GAMING
GPU: Asus Rog Strix RTX2070 O8G GAMING 8GB GDDR6
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB: 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz DIMM 288-PIN - CL15
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus MZ-V7S500BW 500GB - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) - M.2 Card
HDD: Toshiba P300 3.5´´ 2TB - 7200rpm 64MB SATA-600
PSU: Corsair RM750x
CASE: NZXT H series H700i Window Black

This is my 5.0GHz OC settings:
Multiplier: 50
XMP: XMP 1
MCE: Auto
AVX: Auto
SVID Support: Disabled
CPU Load-Line Calibration: Level 5
CPU Core/Cache Voltages: 1.385v

So if I want to change from fixed voltages to adaptive voltages to get the benefit of that, how do I get around that correctly ?
Do I just put in 1.385v as Adaptive Voltage or do I also add some sort of +/- offset as well?
Do i change IA DC load lines set to 0.01 ?

I hope you guys can help me.

Best regards

Last edited:
Set IA AC and DC to 0.01 to lower the SVID so you don't have to use negative offset that would lower the idle and off idle default core voltage. I would start with adaptive +1.385 and AUTO offset to see what you have for core voltage. Set CPU load line calibration on AUTO when using adaptive to prevent BSOD at idle and off idle. When needing to see the core voltage using adaptive load the CPU with stress testing software.

I use all power-saving features and adaptive and it saves 16 watts.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying.
First, let me fill you in, cause im already testing.

Im using:
SVID Behavior - Best case (this should set ac/dc to 0.01).
SVID Support - Auto.
Adaptive volt - 1.385v.

Loaded into OS, ran cinebench r15 for Quick load test. My vcore was at max 1.394v and 1.359v under load.

Went to bios and changed offset to a negative offset of 0.009.

Booted back to Windows and now my vcore was In place. Max 1.385v and under load 1.350v.
For fun, i ran a few min realbench run, and noticed my vcore was different. It jumps between 1.359 to 1.368v. So that makes me wonder if i have to adjust offset a bit more?
When i used fixed voltage, It was sitting on 1.350v In realbench.

About your LLC suggestion. Im pretty sure i NEED to run LLC 5, because if i dont, my overclock become unstable. At least it did with fixed vcore.

You should not have to use negative offset if you can just lower the adaptive volts. When using load line calibration on AUTO all you need to do is increase the adaptive core voltage to compensate for realbench load core voltage drop to achieve the same core voltage as LLC5.

You should not have to use negative offset if you can just lower the adaptive volts. When using load line calibration on AUTO all you need to do is increase the adaptive core voltage to compensate for realbench load core voltage drop to achieve the same core voltage as LLC5.
Not quite sure i understand what you mean here.
You tell me not to use offset, but instead lower the adaptive volts. But then regards to LLC on auto, you tell me to up the adaptive volts to compensate for vcore on load? I find the above a tad confusing, sorry :D

Well if you do both things I suggested they cancel each other out with core voltage movement, so you will not need much adjustment with adaptive core voltage. You will just need to run realbench load test to see what you need for adaptive core voltage then adjust adaptive core voltage.

I see.
Atm. Im testing how low i can go to remain stable.
I tryid 1.360v with offset on auto, and i failed In Intel burn test.
I then tryid 1.370v and passed IBT, and are now doing a quick 15min Realbench. It sits pretty stable on 1.359v running Realbench.

But i guess i cant go lower than 1.370v on adaptive volt to remain stable.

Also my VID is 1.389v under load. Is that alarming or fine?

On my Intel i7 9700k stock default core voltage at turbo 4.9GHz ran a 1.464v core voltage under load. VID is (voltage identification digital), it sends the signal core voltage command from the CPU to the VRM for the voltage needed from intel VID table, in which you have offset with IA AC/DC load line and Adaptive core voltage. So VID is a stock Intel specification.

Last edited:
Okay, so mine being 1.390v i assume im good yea?

So when i fail IBT on 1.360v, is there anything i can dial on, BIOS wise, to perhaps become stable with that voltage, or is that just as it is.

Also, i've heard some people talk/write about having lower stable voltages with adaptive mode, compared to fixed voltages. And it seems there is some truth to this.
Since i can also become seemingly stable with 1.370v, which i couldn't using fixed volts. Do you know why this is a thing?

It does not mater what your VID is showing, because that is not what your CPU is receiving for voltage from SVID with IA AC/DC load line, Adaptive settings. Some people find that using adaptive they can lower the core voltage compared to fixed, I have never found that to be the case. Are you using load-line calibration on AUTO? That can help lower the load core voltage.

Okay, thanks.

And no, i am still sitting on LLC 5.
I have planned to try using LLC Auto, to see.

Should I just go for, adaptive volt 1.370v, Offset Auto and then LLC Auto and see what happens?

Last edited:
That didnt seem to work very good tbh. :D

IBT: 1.412 and hit 94c within 5 seconds, i stopped it.
Cinebench r15: 1.376v
Realbench: 1.394v

Worth a try tho.

I was checking all that on Maximus XI Gene, and I will tell you that Adaptive mode is a fail. Depends on settings, the clock was throttling, or voltages had to be higher than on full manual or offset modes what was causing overheating. Even when I was checking offset and adaptive 5GHz der8auer profiles which suppose to give the same results, then offset was stable and adaptive mode was causing stability tests to crash.

Anyway, I would start with full manual settings. Stabilize clock under load and then start to adjust all voltages in offset/adaptive modes to values which were stable for you under load. It's because depends on LLC and SVID settings, there will be different results under load. I don't know if Strix has the same, but new Maximus mobos are measuring voltages in a "new" way what affects how the CPU acts when SVID is enabled.

Try with LLC at 5-6. It usually gives the best results at 5GHz. LLC 7 is sometimes better for benching.

When you use hardware monitoring software then always check CPU voltage, not VID. When CPU is in adaptive/offset mode then voltages will be reported in a different way. I also have no idea what CPU voltage is showing ASUS software as it doesn't match any voltage I see in hwinfo64 or other soft. For example I can make it show as low as 1.20V at 5GHz under load when hwinfo64 is showing 1.35V VID and 1.28V CPU voltage.

Last edited:
Anyway, I would start with full manual settings. Stabilize clock under load and then start to adjust all voltages in offset/adaptive modes to values which were stable for you under load. It's because depends on LLC and SVID settings, there will be different results under load. I don't know if Strix has the same, but new Maximus mobos are measuring voltages in a "new" way what affects how the CPU acts when SVID is enabled.

Try with LLC at 5-6. It usually gives the best results at 5GHz. LLC 7 is sometimes better for benching.
I have already found my stable OC settings with manual settings, and my next step was indeed to move to adaptive mode, that this was my end goal of this oc.
And i do use LLC 5, as i found this was the most stable for my settings, giving me a slight vdroop to work with. LLC 6 gave me a vboost.
Also i havent experienced any issues with my clocking. They all stay stable at 5.0GHz under load.

When you use hardware monitoring software then always check CPU voltage, not VID. When CPU is in adaptive/offset mode then voltages will be reported in a different way. I also have no idea what CPU voltage is showing ASUS software as it doesn't match any voltage I see in hwinfo64 or other soft. For example I can make it show as low as 1.20V at 5GHz under load when hwinfo64 is showing 1.35V VID and 1.28V CPU voltage.
I am using adaptive mode, not offset. And my voltages seem pretty "normal" in hwinfo & cpu-z. There was another guy on another forum, trying with offset mode, and he had some voltages bug, where it showed completely wrong voltages.

Atm. i am using 1.370v, offset auto, llc 5 on adaptive mode. That gives me a 1.357v under load.
It passed Intel Burn Test and Realbench 8 hours. Max temp is 81c in Realbench.

Now im just gonna try with 2-4hours of Prime95 v26.6 1344-1344 fft to see if its stable there.

Last edited:
I've been playing around with adaptive on my 9900K as well. It's not as easy at the 9700K for overclocks because of the heat output but adaptive seems to be working well. One thing I didn't see mentioned is the cooler confidence setting. I've had to set mine a little higher than 100% to get the clocks I wanted. Has anyone else played with this?

I don't even know what cooler confidence setting is...

Can that be found in specific brand motherboards in the BIOS or something?

Sorry yes this is an ASUS setting on my Maximus XI series board. It works with the cooler rating which has the function of monitoring fluctuations in your system's ability to cool and adjusting your overclock accordingly. For instance if you never clean you system and your cooler gets gunked up, or if your ambient rises significantly in the summer. :)

Back