• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think about this build??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zide

Registered
Hey, I was thinking about building an AMD 860k Mini ITX build but I've just come across this second hand build, all as new still on warrany, for 300€ (no shipping needed since the seller lives near me):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($59.74 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 5450 1GB Video Card ($36.99 @ Micro Center)
Monitor: LG 22M35D 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: SteelSeries Zboard Wired Gaming Keyboard ($36.93 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech M600 Wireless Optical Mouse ($9.50 @ Directron)
Speakers: Logitech Z130 5W 2ch Speakers ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Antec isk 310 150 ($84.00)
Total: $574.11

I plan on overclocking that to something between 4.2/4.5 and some "light gaming" like LoL and Skyrim. What do you think? Do you think its worth it? And if I want to upgrade to an i5 in, lets say, 2 years?

Not worth it, hardware is seveal generation old and that mobo is unstable when overclocking.

Edit: what i mean is the CPU is ok
CPU cooler is average, not good for overclocking at all
Motherboard is no good for oc
RAM is ok, not good
Graphic card is.... i don't know, probably 5 generation old, maybe more :)
HDD is ok
Monitor is average, nothing special.
what kind of PSU did the seller use in that build, a good PSU= stable pc, any body will tell you the same thing
No commend on mouse and keyboard

Last edited:
Yes, the GPU is quite bad and would be the first change I'd make (I'd only be playing LoL for now, so I guess it would work fine); the PSU is the one included in the case, its a 150w, swappable I think.

Bear in mind that I'd get it for 300€ (around 330$ with the actual insane exchange rate). Partpicker is averaging it for much more (574$). Do you still think it is not worth it?

But ye, the biggest concern I have is the OC capabilities of the board, because I'm sure I'll want to play with those Ghz. However I read somewhere that OCing works great on the h81m p33, and also that all "H" boards had a new bios version released to allow users to change the Pentium's multiplier... Do you think I wouldn't be able to get a stable 4,5Ghz on it?

Oh, thanks, but I'd rather keep it mini-ITX and as small as possible.

The pc on your first post is what i call a "everyday office pc", sure you could play LoL on it, but i wouldn't mess with overclocking on that mobo, a z87 or z97 mobo is much more suitable for oc.
One more thing, if you ever decide to buy that pc and plan to do some ocing, throw away that p.o.s. PSU, buy a better PSU

By the way, if you want a miniITX mobo then this will do
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z97mitxac

Last edited:
I have a G3258 cpu and while extremely overclockable and powerful for what it is, it still lags for some games. I will be upgrading to a i5 4690k real soon, only reason i got the G3258 was to learn how to overclock as it was such a cheap processor.

Back