• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this mb + RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crossed_wires

I've never owned Gigabyte boards (that I remember anyway), but was wondering what you think of the following combo of AM3 mb + DDR3 RAM:

http://www.frys.com/product/5842583?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG (Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5 AMD 790FX + SB750 Chipset )

http://www.frys.com/product/5844343?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG (Corsair 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666 TWINX MEMORY KIT / CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9)
The RAM is 1333 MHz and timing is 9-9-9-24

I picked 1333 DDR3 RAM, since I'm not sure if the mb supports faster.
It's supposed to support "1600 O/C", so not sure if that's the same thing as RAM that's actually rated at 1600.

These two items will replace the mb + RAM combo in my sig that I bought recently. I've had issues with the mb and also decided to get something faster and more "future proof".
I realize that this board I chose supports CrossfireX, rather than SLI (I have a GeForce card). I'm not too worried about that, as I may make a move to ATI for my next card (2 of them even). Never had ATI, but hear they're pretty good.

-Ryan

No one has an opinion on this MB + RAM combo? I was going to pick it up on Saturday, so any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can get better ram just as cheap.But I dont know much about AMD boards but i know Gigabyte makes very good highend board for both amd and intel.So chances are it will be great

Last edited:
That motherboard is one of the best AM3 ones you can get. Very popular. Dont know much about those particular sticks of ram, but they should be ok if you dont plan to OC too much. Most mobos have a hard time running memory at 1600 anyways, I run my 1600 ram at 1333 just for stability's sake. I think your money would be much better spent on a graphics card though, that 9800GT is killing you.

Yeah i just picked up a 9800GTX+ for $65 in the classified's .Look there you can find some great deals and with the new ATI coming out soon a lot of 4890's and 4850 will be up for sale as well as GTX260's and GTX280/285's etc

I have a giga UDP5 and I hate it more than my ex wife! I only pick it up for the dragon gigabyte contest (was mandatory to use a Giga board) soI only ran it under ln2. Maybe I was spoiled cause my rgular benching board for amd is a crosshair III formula. cannot tell you about regular use but for me it was not a good benching board other have good result with but not me, take a look at the crosshair, that board is loaded with feature and the bios is a bencher heaven. Just my 0.02$

I too looked at that motherboard, and decided on my new Asus M4A79XTD... 790X chipset,

It is running my ddr3 1600 rock solid, all 8 gigabytes!! It supports ddr3 1800 OC. MY previous gigabyte board could NOT even run at 1600! OC my ***!) This board uses newer tech (ddr3 1800 for example) than on the M4A79T deluxe which is why I bought it over that (and not to mention I saved $80 which I can almost buy an ASUS Xonar Slim soundcard for bitstream hd audio!)

Anyhow, check it out. Got mine for 102 shipped.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10010979&prodlist=celebros

****Currently running, as i type no less, at 3.7ghz x4 955 chip, with 2600mhz cpu/nb!!! FAST!! would be running 3.9 if I only had 4 sticks of mem******

Hi all i have just got a M4A79XTD , AMD X4 955 3.2, ati 4870 1gb, 4GB 1600MHZ , air cooled

im pretty new to bios setting and was wondering if someone could tell me how to correctly set my bios to get this beast running smooth :) thanks.

i have run 3dmark06 and got 15182 but when im gaming it aint super smooth.

Back