• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What does your Venice or San Diego overclock to?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What does your Venice or San Diego overclock to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
what is the stock voltage for the venice? i cant get it past 2300mhz with 1.45v.. all of you seem to be at 1.6+ i thought i got another dud but maybe i an UNDERVOLTING it... let me know, thanks

EvilCloudStrife said:
what is the stock voltage for the venice? i cant get it past 2300mhz with 1.45v.. all of you seem to be at 1.6+ i thought i got another dud but maybe i an UNDERVOLTING it... let me know, thanks

I think stock volts is 1.4. I'd strongly suggest a burn in at stock (4 hrs) 1.55V (2.65GHz) for 24 hrs. You may see a dramatic improvement.

From my own experience, the burn-in, settle in, call it what you want, isn't as pronounced as it was back in the days of the Tbird and Tbreds. The Winchester and newer cores seem much more tolerant of higher temps than the 130nm stuff was and temperature is what the so called "burn-in" is all about. No matter how austere you are with your TIM, you wind up putting on too much. The "burn-in" is the time it takes for the excess TIM to exude from between the core and the base of your heatsink or water block. Depending upon how stingy you are with the TIM, the temp you are running at and whether you are using air cooling with an attached fan or not, govern the time "burning-in" takes. With an effective water block and cool water, it can take up to a few days. With warm conditions and a powerful (vibrating) fan on a heatsink, it can take as little as overnight. The warmer the TIM, the stronger the vibration, the faster the excess will displace from between the core and face of your sink. That's why many people used to run at a relatively slow speed, but high vcore while "burning-in". The point was to get the core and consequentlyt the TIM hot, but not try to run it too hard. Of course, running at a lower Vcore and higher speed can generate the watts as well as high vcore and lower speed. Remember, this is not a mechanical device. You're not breaking in a lawn mower, just getting the best thermal coupling between the core and heatsink.

Hoot

Hoot said:
From my own experience, the burn-in, settle in, call it what you want, isn't as pronounced as it was back in the days of the Tbird and Tbreds. The Winchester and newer cores seem much more tolerant of higher temps than the 130nm stuff was and temperature is what the so called "burn-in" is all about. No matter how austere you are with your TIM, you wind up putting on too much. The "burn-in" is the time it takes for the excess TIM to exude from between the core and the base of your heatsink or water block. Depending upon how stingy you are with the TIM, the temp you are running at and whether you are using air cooling with an attached fan or not, govern the time "burning-in" takes. With an effective water block and cool water, it can take up to a few days. With warm conditions and a powerful (vibrating) fan on a heatsink, it can take as little as overnight. The warmer the TIM, the stronger the vibration, the faster the excess will displace from between the core and face of your sink. That's why many people used to run at a relatively slow speed, but high vcore while "burning-in". The point was to get the core and consequentlyt the TIM hot, but not try to run it too hard. Of course, running at a lower Vcore and higher speed can generate the watts as well as high vcore and lower speed. Remember, this is not a mechanical device. You're not breaking in a lawn mower, just getting the best thermal coupling between the core and heatsink.

Hoot

Mate,

If burning in has no electrical connotations, why did I see a jump in performance AT THE SAME TEMPS? Shouldn't a successful burn in be reflected by progressively lower tempratures?

I think you may be confusing this with "breaking in a TIM". On the other hand, I may have misunderstood.

WTF? 3250 MHz on the poll? That is unbelievable! Lets see some proof folks!

Super Nade said:

2 words - phase change. go look at Sucka's thread. he was able to take both a venice and san diego just beyond 3250.

Super Nade said:
~3.3 is totally doable on phase. So those guys are either lying or have PC. So you can disregard those results as such.

The poll results seems pretty clear to me. With today's steppings between 2.65 and 2.85 is a realistic goal on water or quality air. Anything else is phase or a really lucky chip on high end water.

yeah I'm at 2.7 after updating bios to 510-2 beta I am 24prime stable but It will boot into windows fine at 2.8 but not super stable I may try upping vcore to 1.6 and seeing if it can get more stable at 2.8. 1ghz overclock just seems so high.

I'm glad to know that 3.0 is quite a realistic target under water or TEC. Learn something new everyday!

Hoot,
Does Speedfan automatically show "water" when temps < 25C ?

Super Nade said:
I'm glad to know that 3.0 is quite a realistic target under water or TEC. Learn something new everyday!

Hoot,
Does Speedfan automatically show "water" when temps < 25C ?

Actually it doesn't say anything. I put those in the screenshot just to elaborate on what those temps were for the readers sake. I'm only using the on-board monitoring circuit for air and MCP sensing. My CPU and Inlet water temps are monitored by an external Diode reader in the form of a MAX6658. Unfortunately, with the Neo2 Platinum, MBM refuses to read the sensors on the SMBus, which is what the MAX uses, so I am forced to use speedfan, which I might mention, I've actually grown fond of.

3000 is not a realistic speed for water. My system is stretched as far as it will go to hit that. Add to that the coolness in my room. For someone with a different setup, even having decent water cooling may put it barely out of reach. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Hoot

baberpervez said:
From EvilCloudStrife

"CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Venice 3200+ @ 2300MHz - my venice is a dud.. just like my winnie"

oops! Perhaps I was wrong there! :(
really sorry to hear that ! same thing happened to me with my winchester (dud) i got fortunate with my venice tho ... i'm usuallly not so lucky :shrug:

It is funny. I look at the rigs of the peopel that calim they do above 3.25...none of them are even close to that score. To bad people cant be honest.

I had problems at first and was going to go back to my winny but it just took time to get where I wanted. Well I will never be satisfied;) I can go 3GHz but its not stable yet so I voted for 2851 & 2950

2520 mhz at 280*9
A64 3000+ Venice
(Don't remember stepping...accidentally threw out the piece of paper I wrote it down on)
Shuttle ICE cooling on smartfan
Set at auto, rated at 1.36-1.37 (chip should be 1.4)
Temps around 50C...no way of telling in windows
Shuttle SN95G5V3, latest BIOS
Prime Stable after 6 hours

Edit: I'm limited by my shuttle's mobo...I can only go to 280FSB with the current BIOS. (Previous BIOS limited me to 250, so I'm pretty happy as of right now). I'm hoping that a future revision will allow me to go to 300 to see the full potential of this chip. 2.52 ghz at 1.36v isn't bad at all!

The performance rating- amd 64 3000+ venice core
was too hasty to look before I installed it since i got it yesterday
Cooling- xp120
Voltage-1.55v
Temps (30/50c)
Motherboard- DFI lanparty UT nf3 ultra-d
Power Supply- ultraxconnect 500w
What testing you've done to ensure stability- 12hr of p95 so far
Anything else you think is relevant- cpu= (9X300) = 2700mhz, memory divider is 133 so its going 400mhz in duel channel mode.

I just got this motherboard and cpu yesterday and am happy with it so far, after the burn in i'm going to try for 2800mhz.

AMD 64 4000+ San Diego running at 225x12 for 2,700MHz
CABHE Stepping and is a 0515
Water cooled by Astek Waterchill CPU block, Black Ice single rad mounted outside the case, 12CM fan blowing through the rad, L20 pump (don't remember stats)
Temps: 29/41
Volts are set to 1.40 with an 8.3% overvolt for 1.51v, although Core Center shows 1.55v
Motherboard is an MSI Neo 2 Platinum at BIOS v1.8
Powersupply Thermaltake PurePower 480W

Testing:
Multiple SuperPI on all iterations
4 hours of looped 3DMark 2001
24 hours of Prime95 blend

AMD 3000+ Venice @ 311x9 (2,800MHz)
LBBLE 0518EPMW
XP90 w/Panaflo Ultra-High Speed
Volts set to 1.65v, reads 1.632v
38c idle/44c load
DFI NF4 Ultra-D
Fortron 530w PSU
Played 4 hours of gaming, 5 hours of prime so far

I get my 3000 venice up to 2.7 (300 x 9) 35C idle / 53C load on air with an XP120, any you guys are making me want to go out and buy watercooling...

Back