• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what dose the memory do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yadnom1973

Registered
I'm total new to PC's. I built my first PC about 3 weeks ago and am still settling in and trying to work out what everything dose. I am also duty bound to stop fiddling and start working on it but wanted to do a mild overclock first just to squeeze the best performance out of what I have. OC was all a bit confusing for someone as new as me but i sussed out that if I wasn't going to be really pushing it I could just work with the multiplier and the Vcore. What I am confused about is the memory speed,

i7 4930K
Palit GTX 780 SUPER JETSTREAM
Corsair 860W AX860i
Corsair H100i
Crucial 240GB
ASUS P9X79 WS
Kingston HyperX Beast 32GB (4x8GB) Memory Kit 2400MHz
and some HDD's

1.40 Vcore
45 multiplier
4500MHz

with P95 it seems to be quite happy the core temps are from 70 to 80 with a few little spikes up to early 80's. I came down from 1.44/45 stable but too hot, mid too high 80's and could maybe work my Vdown a little more but I'm happy if it is.

it did a strange thing where it was fine working and gaming but if i let it go into sleep mode for to long when i hit the keys to recover all the fans went to full blast and stayed there with a dark screen till I pressed the power button and shut it down then when i start the first time it comes up with the unsuccessful OC screen, I shut down again and reboot and it's fine. In the end i just disabled sleep mode and now all's good again.

The memory is what I'm confused about, I have it at 1600 as a middle ground as I'm clueless on whats best, the timings say 9 9 9 24 1

The ram is 2400 with CAS 11-13-13-31 Timings on the web page. I'm worried about putting these timings into the bios and ramping it up to 2400 as I've been told it will show little performance increase and a lot more strain on the system in heat? If I set it to a different lower speed like 1600 how do I know the correct timings to put in?Or do I just leave it be and it'll do it it's self.

thanks for any help on any issues or all if there all the same one.

The memory is what I'm confused about, I have it at 1600 as a middle ground as I'm clueless on whats best, the timings say 9 9 9 24 1

The ram is 2400 with CAS 11-13-13-31 Timings on the web page. I'm worried about putting these timings into the bios and ramping it up to 2400 as I've been told it will show little performance increase and a lot more strain on the system in heat? If I set it to a different lower speed like 1600 how do I know the correct timings to put in?Or do I just leave it be and it'll do it it's self.

thanks for any help on any issues or all if there all the same one.

I was told (here on OCF) that 1600Mhz on the memory is the sweet spot. Any higher and the gains are minimal.

And yes, the motherboard (or RAM, I forget) will pick the RAM settings for you. :)

Generally, the lower the timings (in your case, 9-9-9-24 1T) are better and faster than my 9-11-11-30 2T, though lowering them is not really useful in real-world applications.

LOL,

I tried to answer this on another form,

Same answer

Big, fast & tight

Almost the perfect woman :)

if you will go over to asus.rog and find the crosshair overclocking guide it goes into the basics of ram and timmings and is a good read and explains some of the basic stuff.

Wow, yeh I posted in a few places, normally don't see much response but there's life here eh. Ok, so for now at least it sounds like I'm OK with the 1600 but I'll go find the crosshair overclocking guide anyhow sounds like a good place to start. Dose it bother anyone that I just avoided the sleeping fan death problem but turning of sleep mode or is that fair play?

With a P9X79 WS with the full package of settings enabled you should be able to lower that Vcore some more!! As for the Ram i would not worry about that until you have a solid OC with lower Temps!

Yours to me seem to be a bit on the high side, even with a H100i unless you did not apply your TIM Paste properly or couple the unit correctly! :shrug:

I would run the RAM @ Stock settings and set Manually into the Bios first of all, otherwise it could cause a Crash or Instability all round. :attn:

Here is a very Basic guide from Raja@ASUS to begin with after this, you can learn more! ;)

1, http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-%96-The-Listy-Wordy-Edition&country=&status=

The story is learn to crawl first, before you can Walk, before you can RUN! One step at a time my friend!!! :attn:

2, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743570&page=2

You should take time out and read through this thread as well, to help you with some of the basic ways and ideas to OC your PC! ;) :thup:

Regards,

AJ.

@yadnom1973
On 4930K higher memory clock is not helping much as you already have high bandwidth. I would set memory to 2133 and try to set tighter timings like 9-11-10, 9-11-11, 10-11-10 or something similar. Beast series are based on Hynix IC so they won't run really tight but double sided modules are already good so there is nothing to worry about. Kingston is making pretty fast profiles in their latest series even though main timings not always look so good.
2x8GB 2400 Beast kit that I was testing made 2400 10-12-12 1.65V but I'm not sure if yours can make the same.
If I'm right then your memory has 2 XMP profiles 2133 and 2400 ( at least 2x8GB 2400 had ) so you can run both profiles and compare performance in AIDA64 or something else.
1333/1600 9-9-9 will be auto SPD setting and it's pretty normal. To get higher performance you have to change it to XMP or manually raise clock and change timings/voltage.

Thanks for the advice, the PC was fine running the tests and running programs but then when idle suddenly the screen would go black and the fans would go on full blast, this is when no programs are running.This happened too much. I changed the memory profile to XMP and still the same. Now I have recovered from an image and I'll see what happens.
I'm worried to hear you think it is running too hot.
I built this pc from new parts a few weeks ago and the H100i came with it's own square of ready applied thermal stuff so i just remover the film and then there are 4 screws to tighten it onto the CPU. Do you think it could be fan configuration?

I have it , it is what i use to monitor temps when running tests after the OC. Rus around 30 idle and then with prime95 it around 70 average occasionally high 70's and 80 max at 4'5GHz and 1.4o V

Back