• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happens if transfer M.2 W10 SSD from Z170 to Z490 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

For the past four years or so I have been running Windows 10 using a Samsung M.2 960 Pro, Asus Z170M Plus mobo, and an Intel i7-6700K. The time has come for a new build with a clean install. I just received the last of the new hardware using an Asus Prime Z490A mobo and an Intel i9-10900K. However, due to some unexpected circumstances, I just do not have the time now to do the clean install and must put that off for a few months.

So, If I simply transfer the existing 960 Pro with W10 from the Z170M and all my software to the new mobo, will it boot up and work? Also, can I expect Windows to complain with respect to activation on a different mobo and is there anything MS will do to fix that?

Don't expect it to work as it currently does, not by a long shot. The BIOS is looking at a WinTen boot that will be looking for drivers for parts that aren't installed and will get confused and start to complain. If it can get past the .ini issues at all. You need to perform a clean install.

I've heard of this being done, albeit with older Windows versions and older drives, by deleting everything from the Device Manager, then shutting down, switching the drive over, and starting it up. The idea is that Windows then re-detects everything. I've never tried it with Win10 so YMMV. Worst case, it doesn't work and you need to do a clean install.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a Samsung M.2 950 Pro that was left over from the build previous to what I am now upgrading. Not sure if it has W7 or W10 but going to try it anyway just to see what happens. Not going to risk my current 960 Pro as that has to say operational until the new build is running and the clean install is complete.

It could work but David's advice is good about first deleting all device drivers, or as many as you can, before swapping the drive to the new mobo. If you are able to boot into Windows on the new motherboard you may need to install some drivers from the board manufacturer's website sine the Z490 chipset is so new.

Windows NVMe driver is in the Win10 so it doesn't matter what you do with all other drivers as they will become inactive once Windows updates all devices info. As long as the motherboard finds a bootable device then it will boot and OS will start searching for correct drivers. If it won't boot at default settings then you have to enable CSM mode and then instead of "Windows Boot Manager ..." you will see your drive's name.
Intel chipset drivers contain one package for all Skylake+ series chipsets.

I'm moving M.2 SSD between various AMD and Intel motherboards quite often and there are no problems. Usually, OS is just installing missing drivers what sometimes takes a while but that's all.
I only recommend updating Win10 to the latest version before moving the drive so it will faster load everything.

When you move the drive to another motherboard then it will for sure try to reactivate the OS. If it fails then try to use the option to change your product key and type the one you already had (after activation the OS key is for some reason different while the product ID is registered). If it won't work then call MS and or pass automatic activation through phone system or tell that you had to replace your motherboard because it was damaged or anything like that and they will provide activation number based on your product key.
Usually MS product keys can be used again after some months.

I got my answer. I completed assembling all the new hardware today based on the Asus Prime Z490A. Before I installed the new Samsung 970 Pro, I just plugged in a Samsung M.2 950 Pro that already had W10 and all my software still on it. It was last used about 2.5 years ago on an ASRock Z170 board. Well to my surprise it booted right up. It was necessary to install the Asus Z490 drivers from the included disk for the chipset, LAN, and audio. I then updated Windows 10 to the latest W10 version without issue although there was really nothing to be gained from this other than I just wanted see what would happen. I was surprised to see how much the W10 start menu changed (I liked the old one better). Thanks for all the opinions above.

Windows will install those basic things for you ( though I say to use the latest from the website).

Glad it worked out!

Windows will install those basic things for you ( though I say to use the latest from the website).

Glad it worked out!

"It was necessary to install the Asus Z490 drivers from the included disk for the chipset, LAN, and audio."

I think it's typical when the hardware is newer than what Windows has drivers for.

I think it's typical when the hardware is newer than what Windows has drivers for.
A fresh install will pick those things up. This was an existing OS dumped onto a new board. Im surprised the audio didn't automatically pick up as they existed for quite a while prior to z490. I know fresh installs of 2004 pick all that up. ;)

Back