• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What hardware fault can cause random Windows BSoD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just ran into something similar to this w/ my system and I thought it was hardware but after a recent windows 10 update it ended up being an application that caused my BSOD. Duet Display was the culprit. After I uninstalled it I was running smoothly. Not sure if that helps.

I thought the same at first but I never installed any new software and what software can effect Windows processes?
Maybe a bug in Windows 10 because after the last major update it stopped.
Last night my PC rebooted but with out the BSoD error.
I will wait and see.
If nothing will help then I will build a new PC. Wanted to upgrade to a smaller build for a long time.

If you want to build a new system, then go ahead, but I wouldn't say were there yet. As trents pointed out, after overclocking a system for some time, it can no longer be presumed to be stable at stock.

I would recommend first first a fresh win10 install.
Second stress test prime 95 small fft to check CPU and custom blend using 12GB of memory to test memory. If you can pass both of those, then you can presume that the hardware is stable at the stock settings, and we can start looking at further diagnostics.

You're never going to find a definitive response just by posting symptoms. You'll get suggestions for diagnostic steps (like stress testing or running one stick of RAM), which could lead you to a definitive answer, but that's how trouble shooting works. If you come onto a forum and someone replies, "it's X part, replace that" it is probably just a guess, unless there are very specific symptoms.

The application Duet Display wasn't new, it had been on my system since I 1st built it. Something w/ a recent Windows 10 update broke it causing the BSOD for me.

Crow846, I would consider adding some vcore over stock even though you are now running stock frequency. If the chip has deteriorated over time due to overclocking then it just may need a bump in voltage to be stable even at stock frequency.

Yes, corrupted Windows updates are another thing that can cause random (or sometimes consistent or endless) blue screens and crashes.

I ran into that around three to four weeks ago where a Windows Update happened and then a PC I was working with wouldn't stop blue screening every time I logged into the PC, and I had to run a system restore to the previous restore point (right before the update install process happened) to get the PC to stop crashing. In my case it was caused by a corrupted Windows Update (multiple updates came in at once, so there was no telling which update caused the issue).

I've been having some bsd's lately as well as some total lockups whereby the screen and everything stops and your audio output sounds like stuttering electronic gibberish, generally while streaming content from my browser to my tv set, requiring a hard boot. After fiddling with browser settings causing me to try another browser, I think I may have figured it out. My default browser waterfox was running without multiprocess enabled. Someone recommended vivaldi so I installed it and made it portable and after a few runs live streaming the same content, I have not seen any more bsd's or total lockups (vivaldi is multi process by default). Also, I believe waterfox runs smother and faster WITH multi process enabled than without. Anywho, the fact my cpu is also the gpu and I was pushing the browser stream to 'much' (?) may have caused like a cpu hiccup which in conjunction with what it was actually doing may have been the actual culprit. Vivaldi for some reason makes me click ok to use flash (I believe) every time I play the stream each session, BUT, I have not had a single hiccup or bsd and have left it running 24/7 so far. With so much attention put into gfx cards these days I could easily see how a single issue with how it interoperates with the rest of the system could cause havoc.

Update: I had to remove the side cover as either the memory or the hd's were getting too hot and one of my sensors was reading ~135°F. Bios is set to alarm at about that temp. Plus I had a bluescreen error message stating a clock reference failed to reach one of the cores. After training the ac on the open pc after removing the side cover, temps went down almost 20°. It averages ~117°. In the whole time I have had this setup it just recently started doing this so hopefully I have fixed that issue. Now all I need is some scrim or cheesecloth to replace the side panel.:D

Last edited:
Back