• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What has changed in the last decade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

I finished my last watercooling rig back in 2006. Last I knew, the best CPU block was a Swiftech Storm, everyone was still using Tygon 7/16" tubing and T-Lines. Triple rads and GPU waterblocks were expensive, and the best pumps were the Laing D5 or the DDC.

Did I miss much? I see there are some direct mounted pumps on CPU's, the addition of quick connects and rigid tubing... LOTS of reservoirs.

Any other advancements that I missed? I see that some motherboards have onboard flow/rpm inputs for watercooling...

Curious to find out about waterblock and radiator efficiencies...

CPU water block wise depends a lot on the intended water cooled platform AMD or Intel as the new AMD Threadripper water blocks if I was getting one it would be XSPC Raystorm NEO AMD TR4.

Intel around the 8700K area probably the Intel XSPC Raystorm Pro, simply because is not as massive as the EK Supremacy and the 8700K tends so far to be a flat heat spreader, not concaved in, like the 7700K, 3770K, etc.

Personal experience I have actually bought 2 AIOs (All In Ones) the first was the EK Predator 240 still in use on my wifes computer the water pump is radiator mounted, no complaints. I would recommend that if it was still available but lately EK has been stepping on a part of their anatomy!

The 2nd was a Corsair AIO with the pump mounted on the CPU water block it was a 240 radiator and once out of the box and looking it over I was so disgusted with the quality, I boxed it back up and couldn't get it back to the store fast enough.

I am still a D5 fan, it's a workhorse of a pump and very dependable and much more location friendly since it can be bought as a pump/res cylinder combo.

You'll get a lot of opinions and suggestions.

Last edited:
I finished my last watercooling rig back in 2006. Last I knew, the best CPU block was a Swiftech Storm, everyone was still using Tygon 7/16" tubing and T-Lines. Triple rads and GPU waterblocks were expensive, and the best pumps were the Laing D5 or the DDC.

Did I miss much? I see there are some direct mounted pumps on CPU's, the addition of quick connects and rigid tubing... LOTS of reservoirs.

Any other advancements that I missed? I see that some motherboards have onboard flow/rpm inputs for watercooling...

Curious to find out about waterblock and radiator efficiencies...

Lots has changed since. Better designed CPU n GPU blocks with better thermals, flow, etc along with newer radiators, tubing that doesn't have plasticize issues and nice fittings, better TIM, etc. They're either redesigned or have eye candy improvements.

I will say, the only thing that sticks out to me from that past that still holds the premium title are the DDC and D5 pumps. Those pumps still rock. You'll notice PWM controlled pumps now from both DDC and D5. Gives the user better control but most set and forget once they're in the efficient flow range.

At the end of the day, you have way more options and better pricing then before.

Someone want to fill me on on Fans.
I have / had 10 Yate-loons running push/pull for what seems like forever, but 3 of the 10 are un-plugged... the clicking, oh the clicking.
They were a great bang for your buck fan back in the day, but horizontally mounting them has been hard on them.

So who is the best bag for your buck king right now?
I know I can always throw money at the issue, but whats the fun in that.

Fan wise alot has improved. We got 4 pin own fans which can be controlled through mobo software controllers. Furthermore we now have static pressure fans from multiple companies, I have good experience with the Enermax batwing fans and the Corsair ML fans, also alot of good reviews on the ek Vardar fans. I currently swapped all my fans for Corsair ML at around 1200 rpm which is around 70 m3/h at roughly 2 mmH2O. The fan curve is fairly linear. Corsair ml120 cost €24 for a 2 pack.
CPU blocks are pure aesthetics if your not a hardcore overclocker, a €20 CPU block with compatible brackets for your socket will suffice and temps will be 1-3°C higher then a big brand block.
However if you're looking for a budget custom loop, you could take a look at the ek fluid gaming kit which is a all aluminium loop for €250 for gpu, CPU, 240 rad, pump, fittings, fans and soft tubing. Hard tubing is a option ofcourse with acryllic or petg, ek offers hard tubing fittings for their aluminium kits.

I forgot about radiator fans.

Gentle typhoons are still the best I believe but there are decent RGB fans out there. Some still complain about motor sound or not enough air but I haven't seen many benchmarks for some time now so I can't say too much on the more recent fans.

As for budget, for me it was and I still use the Swiftech Helix120s (PWM). They do a decent job and no clicking issues here.

I don't recall and not an expert but I believe the reason why the clicking happens is when the motor isn't getting a constant 12v supply like the PWM fans do as they always get that much while being controlled by a PWM signal where as the 3-pin voltage controlled fans, obviously aren't being fed 12v unless they're running full max. It's something like that and maybe someone can shed more light on that or correct me if I'm wrong so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Clicking isnt due to under voltage. Its horizontally mounted sleeve bearings. Smacked my case, and they shut up again.

The Corsair ML120 Pro's seem to be the only newish ones to me at least, otherwise seems like its still the old usual suspects from the last time I did a full build (5 years ago)
Was hoping a new well priced option would pop up, not more $30 fans. Some of these newer high static pressure fans I have seen listed over $50, ouch.
Hidden gems seem to be getting harder and harder to find these days.

I looked back through the old threads... unfortunately all the pics have lost their links.. but IIRC the last rig I built went something like:

Antec P180
DDC 350
Captain Slug Custom reservoir
Dual Rad + Single Rad (Black Ice???)
Swiftech Storm Waterblock -> e6600
EK Full Coverage GPU Waterblock -> 8800 GTX???
Tygon 1/2" tubing all around. Distilled water+water wetter
Artic Silver 5

I think I was also running Yate Loons... what was wrong with the old Tygon tubing?

Current plans are to build a 1950 Threadripper with dual 1080's in a silent case. Of course, this depends on GPU prices dropping.

Edit: What is with this ridiculous obsession with RGB lighting!? I want color from my monitor.. who cares about the case and mobo...

If you are doing Threadripper make sure the block FULLY COVERS the heat spreader.
I have seen some sinks around that are adapted from AM4 to fit TR4 and do not fully cover the spreader. Your temps will suffer as its a poor implementation. So watch out for that.

Last edited:
yate loons are still the same ones you bought back in the day! they are about as cheap to boot lol. i still recommend them for budget builds and have several in my corral. you can still pick them up for $4-5ea. at performance pcs. unfortunately for us wcers the mannies have caught on to our wanting high pressure fans and they charge through the nose for them. here are a couple of places you can get solid reviews on wced gear.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/
http://thermalbench.com/
jayztwocents is another good place to find solid reviews. you can find him all over the net.
there are so many different kinds of rads/blocks and pump-res combos now it can get daunting trying to find the best gear for your rig. fittings are another one that can get insane. unless of course if your going to stick with barbs then your golden!
enjoy your new loop and welcome back!

Back