• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What have I done

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johneva

Registered
Hi

I built a new computer yesterday and all was good updated the BIOS and made a floppy for the Raid and installed windows all was working great.

I then further went on and installed a load of drivers and installed my new sound card. I did also have a go at changing the auto overclocking settings in ai booster.

Now it wont even boot, it dont turn my screen on automatically when you turn the rig on and when you go to turn it off the rig off wont turn off either unless you use the swich on the power supply at the back.

Please help what do you think I have done and how can I fix it?

I have now removed the sound card still no diffrent I have dissconected the HDDs and still no good. I have taken the graphics card out and reseated it still no good.

I am thinking the PSU carnt see why it is new and a gooden but with it not turning off when pushing the power button just gives me the feeling it is the PSU. Thing is I dont have any spare parts to even check.

Hope someone can give me some advise.
Thanx John

Asus P5WD2-E Premium Intel 975X
Intel Pentium 4 950 Dual Core
OCZ 2GB PC5300 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series EL-DDR2
3D connect ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB
x2 Western Digital Raptor 74GB
FSP Sparkle FX600-GLN Epsilon 600W ATX2.0 PSU
Thermaltake VB1000BWS Soprano
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
Creative sound blaster X-Fi sound card

EDIT
I have just tryed removing the CMOS battery and changed the jumper setting for 10 mins and put the jumper setting back and put the battery back and still nothing. Screen does not come on when started and power wont turn off except the swich on the PSU.

My vote is on the PSU. I had one do something similar. It worked fine for a few hours and then would just shut off. No reboot, just off. Hit the power button, nothing. Flip the switch on the back of the PSU off then on, hit the power button, most times, nothing. When it came on it may stay on for a few minutes or, a few hours.

PSU

Will the system power down if you hold in the power button for 3-4 seconds? It is normal that the system wouldn't shut down with just a simple press of the power button.

Do you have some headphones you can plug into the onboard audio jack? If so, listen for any voice POST reporter messages when you power on the system. If you still can't hear anything, you're going to need to remove everything from the mobo but the CPU and power connectors. So disconnect all IDE/SATA devices, RAM, PCI/PCI-e devices, etc. Turn on the system like this and listen for the POST reporter through the headphones. If you still hear nothing, the only thing I can suggest is to try another clear of the CMOS memory. This time remove the battery for 1-2 hours before replacing it.

I think your best shot is to clear the CMOS. Your attempt at overclocking may have exceeded the ability of one or more components to run. Resetting the CMOS will take you back to the default non-overclocked state.

if you done the overclock with AI Booster it changes the settings in the bios.
go into the bios and go to the overclocking settings and change the setting back to standard.

has the screen gone into powersave mode?

lee

Guys, he has already tried clearing the CMOS, although it might be worth trying again. Also, he can't get into the BIOS setup because he doesn't get a POST.

Take the mb out of the case. With only 1 stick of ram, vcard, cpu, and of course the ps, try to boot it up again. This will elimate shorting on the case and bad buttons.

I had the same kind of problem on my new computer. It has an Asus a8n32-sli deluxe mobo. I flashed the bios and right after my computer would not turn on... well it would but i wouldn't get anything from post and nothing would happen. Then i'd have to shut it off with the PSU switch. My problem ended up being the video card being bad. If you have another video card you might want to try using it. But if you can get some post beeps out of it then that'll be a good way to help you figure out the problem.

i would say get all you parts and either test them in another computer or get other parts and test them in yours untill you find the problem. Obvious i know but it is the only real way to find out what is wrong, and also look for obvouis things such as wires out

Back