• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What HDD will fit a Core2 machine; Raptors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have O&O and PerfectDisk under free trials. However, I can see much difference between the "smart placement" of PerfectDisk and the O&O defrag by "access". Sounds like both of them are similar, to me. O&O seems like theres more options, although after reading their help files O&O says that if you want to decrease bootup times into windows you should use the defrag by "name".

Rickster said:
it really depends on what stripe you are using. if you transfer large files all the time and use a small stripe it would be slower than a non-raid array. i think most gamers would use 16k stripe if im not mistaken. im a noob of course please correct me.

correction. gamers would want a minimum of 64k strip size, of not a preferable 128k strip.

as far as defrag programs go, i have tried the top three (diskeeper, o&o, and perfect disk). fwiw, i prefer perfect disk. it just seems to make the biggest overall difference. ymmv, i guess.

squashfx said:
its untouchable because the risk of partitoning a raid 0 array and the fact you can be lazy on the defragmentation
Huh? What are these risks of partitioning? Besides that, you don't even need to partition a standard RAID array to have superior file placement from a third party defragmenter over a Matrix RAID array. Lazy? We're not discussing lazy, we're discussing your reasoning Matrix RAID is untouchable in performance. You only need to defrag once to benefit from a third party defragmenter's superior file placement, which of course someone with a Matrix RAID array could use as well, then it's a wash. You don't think files defragment with Matrix RAID and none of it's users are lazy?

Last edited:
tuskenraider maybe he was referring to Matrix RAID in RAID0 and RAID1 cause you said it's possible to do that. But then again the RAID0 partition in Matrix RAID still is vulnerable to breakdown, just that RAID1 is there if you want to backup your files to the partition that has redundancy; it's not like its untouchable. Infact I would think that RAID requires users not to be lazy. Normally people who have RAID0 arrays want performance, so don't you think they would be defragging their arrays as and when they could. To add to that, they have to backup their files.

Back