• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is a really good site for Laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Auto542

I was planning on buying me a laptop sometime in the near future. but I was wanting to get a good one. I am hoping to get a cheap one, but on that works good and is reliable.

As I seem to be learning there is no such thing as a good, cheap laptop. This place has some good deals sometimes. Look at the Dell deals. Killer Notebooks (google it) has awesome machines apparantly, but mega expensive. I have just been trying to find a good deal at ebay, but like I said...good, cheap...no find.

Eagle Computer has some very good deals on IBM/Leonovo P-M machines and is a Better Business Bureau Online Reliability Program member since 2002.

If you don't find the deal you're looking for at Eagle, check Mwave. They often have good prices, just check to be sure what you're looking at is listed as "in stock".

Lenovo not only gets top ratings for reliability, (including right here on OC fourms, here, here and here), they also won the top spot in Greenpeace's "Green computer manufacturers" survey.

All that said, and I still use Toshibas... ;)

Last edited:
personally, I've always been partial to IBM (now lenovo) laptops. There's a mix of reasons, but mostly they just have that "feel" to them. I also gotta say that I love my Powerbook. I bought a used G4 12" last summer just as a "sitting on the couch, watching tv, browsing the internet" machine, and it's really turned out to be quite useful, and even the 867mhz doesn't seem too unbearably slow all the time. If you don't absolutely need Windows, then you might want to check out the new mac books, too. Sometimes you can find them on sale at places like Newegg (which sells other laptops at decent prices, too). There is also TigerDirect, but one of my roommates bought a cheap laptop from them a few years ago and the thing really is a POS.

splat said:
...There is also TigerDirect, but one of my roommates bought a cheap laptop from them a few years ago and the thing really is a POS.

There is also the fact that Tiger Direct has one of the worst reputations in the industry, evidenced by their Reseller Ratings and Better Business Bureau Report

Good suggestion regarding Newegg, however; I often forget about them due to the fact that they won't ship here, so I never buy from them.

I don't think there is a all-around best place to get a laptop, it depends on what you're looking for. Perhaps if you list your desired specs/pricerange we can find a reseller that works for you.
having said that, I've been really impressed with geared2play.com. I've ordered a few laptops for customers through them and was impressed with their customer service/turn around time. They only sell asus laptops however, and they might not be cheap, but you can customize them and even get them as a whitebook and throw in the other parts to save you some money.
Dell usually has some pretty good deals on decent laptops. I'd look around on their site and see if you find a model that meets your requirements and then see if you can find a coupon that would make it more affordable.
I've also ordered a few laptops on newegg and was never disappointed as well.

Back