• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is Microsoft licenses for operating systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loydchase

i was wondering what the licenses would do for me if i bought one. do i need a operating system license? is that only for buying in bulk would it be cheaper to buy licenses and then the operating system or do i just need the licenses and not the operating system's i don't know what the licenses are for i want to buy a lot of windows 7 operating systems and i'm trying to find the cheapest way. i am going to build a desktop and i wanted to know about the license if i need one to build a desktop and do i need one for putting windows 7 on my old computer that i want to upgrade. if anybody can fill me in on the licenses that would save me a long conversation with Microsoft's technicians.

You buy a license and then download and install the OS. It will ask for your license number upon installing.

Why are you looking for w7? Something against 10?

Technically, a Microsoft license (product key) is your proof you paid for or otherwise legitimately acquired the rights to use said operating system, consistent with the terms in the End User License Agreement. Nobody owns a MS operating system but MS. There's a story that goes back to Bill Gates' first deal for an OS, with IBM, when he told them they could use it, pay for it, bundle it with their computers, but MS would retain all rights to the software. An IBM lawyer allegedly responded with a laugh, claiming "Sure! The money is in the hardware, son." It is, in fact, the same principle IBM was built on. They leased machines, never sold them. Don't know if that's still true or not after they dumped Lenovo.

And there's your Saturday morning trivia (And not so trivial-all the things that outraged people about W10 was always possible, it's always been in their EULA.)

Back