• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best 'bang for the buck' Software Firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyian

So ive had ZoneAlarm for a while now, but this latest updating method they have, which only allows a quick install "which many report installed toolbars and changes homepages as a default" is a huge put-off and im not wanting to update it if it is going to install that crap.

I know in the sticky there is a list of them, which ZA is one of them, but im wondering what you peeps here use for a firewall, and which ones you recommend using?

(list from sticky)
Firewall Programs:
ZoneAlarm
Norton Personal Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall
Kerio
Tiny Personal Firewall
BlackICE Defender
CHX-I

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

I've used them all including comodo. Don't trust comodo as their gui has always sucked. (now they have their own browser-pfffff) Private firewall (privacyware) works the best imo. There's one called Windows Firewall Control that's very interesting but it apparently only sees exe's which just won't work when your jar file needs access.
Mse is not a firewall by any means.

"ZoneAlarm
Norton Personal Firewall
Sygate Personal Firewall
Kerio
Tiny Personal Firewall
BlackICE Defender"

junk, fly 'em:)

Last edited:
Ohhh Sorry!!! I misread the title as I was on my phone. And read zonealarm and all the others and was tired and assumed Virus haha. xD

Disregard my post!

To be honest Windows firewall works decent as a host-based firewall. I have a pfsense box as a network firewall to do anything more serious.

Back