• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best OS to run for a webserver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skidooosl

I am thinking about making a webserver out of an old computer, how much power is typically needed??? i have never ran one before. Would a 750 AMD Athlon and 256meg ram be ok? i will just use it to mainly allow me to have outside web based access to my network, FTP and hosting pictures and webpages. what would be the best OS and Program to acomplish this? i was thinking Redhat Linux 8.0 but would Novell Netware 5.0 or W2k Server be a better choice? and as far as server software i have always had people say Apache? i know that is what we run on our school network... any more input?

you dont really need much power at all. I used to run all my stuff on an old p166 with 256EDO ram in it until I upgraded my main rig so my old one became my server/extra gaming rig. Servering stuff to the web takes minimum amout of power. The speed of your computer will more than surpase the upload bandwidth you have at home. As for the OS it your preference as it will all work. I use WIN2K professional on mine.

As for software (if your going to use windows) there is a great sticky on the top of this section that tells you an easy way to install apache and some other componets using appserv. I use Foxserv which is a similar bundle as Appserv.

What I would probably do If I didn't have my network already set up is use Clarkconnect. It is a linux Distro that has all the componets you need (apache, FTP, php etc..) and can also act as a gateway router for your network. IF you already have a router you can disable that function........

good luck

I don't think that your PC is the weak point but your internet connection. How many thousand connections/second do you want to serve? :)

Seriously, that PC is overkill just to provide you access to your home network.

The best combination for a webserver is LAMP (Linux, Apache, mySQL, PHP) in my opinion. Redhat 8.0 is fine; every Linux distribution will do it.

Webservers under Windows are less saver (the past told us...) , that's why only a small percentage of webservers worldwide use Windows, the majority is running with Linux or another *nix like OS.

if you can figure out linux, definatly go that route, otherwise go with a windows 2000 and apache blend! DON'T FORGET WINDOWS UPDATE!! if you are opening up ports :)

Back