• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the fastest 7900GT card out there?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's hard to say, they're all fast... I doubt that it's an XFX - some people here have had good experiences with them, I however, have not. I've owned 2 XFX cards, and both malfunctioned...
First, was my first "fast" card (back in it's day) - was a Geforce FX5600 Ultra 128MB AGP8X with a HUGE, gorgeous silver HSF on it (and blue PCB, a beautiful card)... it lasted almost 5 months, never was overclocked, not once, and then one day I booted my system and there were white lines running across my screen horizontally, spaced about 0.25" apart, all the way down my screen... you could still see the correct image in the background, but those lines remained, through the BIOS, all the way into the windows desktop. Guess that meant that the memory fried...
Second, was a Geforce 6800 128MB AGP8X, it managed to last about 5 weeks, then one day, in the middle of playing Far Cry. the screen just went black... the computer was still running, just no picture. Rebooted, no picture.

Just wanted to tell the story of my XFX experience.
If I were you and was in the market to buy a 7900GT, I don't think ANYONE here would disagree with me that eVGA makes great cards. Personally, I think the BEST quality Nvidia cards available are Gainward Golden Samples. Buying a Gainward GS is like buying an AMD Opteron over a normal Athlon 64... Golden Sample's GPU and memory are handpicked to be the best, so in my opinion, no matter if you want a card that'll last forever or if you want to do some extreme overclocking, you can't go wrong with Gainward.
Other companies I also like for Nvidias are BFG, PNY, Asus,

If I had to guess which card is the fastest available 7900GT, I'd name this card the king: the MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD
520mhz core, 1530mhz DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127218R
I thought the eVGA 7900GT KO would be the fastest, running at 500/1500, but 30mhz does make a difference I suppose ;)
The fastest XFX 7900GT I see listed on here is clocked at 470/1370...

eVGA I believe - their 7900 GT Signature Series cards are 600 Mhz Core / 1600 Memory clocks.

Two XFX models ( the Extreme Edition and XXX ) have 550 Mhz core clocks, but the XXX has a higher memory clock (1.65 Ghz vs. 1.63 Ghz ).

However, you may happen to get a standard 7900 GT that is a great overclocker. If you up the voltage to the core and memory, you can surpass the fastest stock speeds of any manufacturer. I run my 7900 GT cards at 700 core / 1750 Memory, and push those clocks higher for benchmarking runs.

DareDevil_747 said:
If I had to guess which card is the fastest available 7900GT, I'd name this card the king: the MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E-HD
520mhz core, 1530mhz DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127218R
I thought the eVGA 7900GT KO would be the fastest, running at 500/1500, but 30mhz does make a difference I suppose ;)
The fastest XFX 7900GT I see listed on here is clocked at 470/1370...

See my post.. eVGA has several cards in their lineup, as does XFX, which are faster than that MSI card.

eVGA puts out the fastest cards last I checked. The fastest was their signature series card. Mine was a 7900GT KO with a 580 core and 1560 RAM. I have the core at 725MHz and RAM at 1750 at the moment with a volt mod and watercooling. I did have it set at 745, but for some strange reason it won't clock that high in coolbits now.

aaronjb said:
See my post.. eVGA has several cards in their lineup, as does XFX, which are faster than that MSI card.

My mistake, I was looking at the available cards on newegg atm, I meant to mention that there might be other cards out there I don't know about... either way, you can't go wrong with eVGA! :)

DareDevil_747 said:
My mistake, I was looking at the available cards on newegg atm, I meant to mention that there might be other cards out there I don't know about... either way, you can't go wrong with eVGA! :)

Seconded! eVGA's customer service is second to none. Those folks take care of you when something goes wrong, often stepping over the line to help out customers.

wun911 said:
I like the 7900GT series of cards because they are single slot solutions and more "mid range" affordable than other cards.

If you buy a 7900GT instead of a 7950GT, I'm going to commit you to a mental institution! lol

I will tell you my experience with EVGA. I bought a 7800 GT OC Nov of last year. It took a dump on me 6 mths later. Got a replacement no questions asked. That took a dump on me 1 1/2 mths later. I am now waiting for my 2nd replacement. EVGA's support is really good, but I will never buy another EVGA card again. If this one goes bad on me I am going to demand my money back. Check out EVGA's forums and see what kind of problems people are having. There are pretty many people having problems with their EVGA cards. This is actually the only vc card I ever had any problems with. No I didn't try and OC it. I have an unclocked Opty 175 that I bought with the intentions of overclocking, but since the cost factor of replacing it if I fuk it up outweighs the benefits of squeezing a little bit of power out of it. So do your research before you buy.

7950GTs are where its at now, but when 7900GTs where the thing, eVGA made the fasted. My 7900gt KO SC does 680/1800, which is fast enough that it causes the Earth to slow down it's rotation by 9.7 seconds.

Phoenix87 said:
7950GTs are where its at now, but when 7900GTs where the thing, eVGA made the fasted. My 7900gt KO SC does 680/1800, which is fast enough that it causes the Earth to slow down it's rotation by 9.7 seconds.

My brothers 7900gt KO SC does about the same oc (685/1800) with no mods. Great card if you can get your hands on one these days .

7950gx2 is the fastest "single" card on the market. plus you can now use them in Quad SLI! otherwise i would pick the 7900GTX. best value would definately go to the 7950GT. i would recomend XFX for any of these cards.

Back