• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the limit on IF clocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

Just doing some random thinking. The question I want answered is, what is the typical maximum FCLK? I take it 1800 MHz is fairly safe even if not 100% attainable. How much further can it get pushed? Does Zen 3 behave much differently from Zen 2? Can I presume if you run async mem you'd still choose FCLK in that region? I think that was a trick people used who had slow ram but still saw some gains from doing so.

Most (overwhelming majority?) are good to 3600/3733. Some 3800 (1:1). After that it's a 1:2 ratio to push memory higher (comes with a latency penalty IIRC). I'll leave the details to those who are more intimate with them. :thup:

E_D about summed it up. I had more luck with the 3900 at 1900 1:1. 5950X won't even boot past 1800 but run there fine. Although I think this is more of an IMC issue than the FCLCK but even AMD states this is it's limit.

Some can do 2K, some can do a little more before breaking to 1:2. On Zen 3 that is not as bad as it used to be on Zen 2. There is still a hit, but instead of being in the 70ns range you would be in the 60ns range. If you have the ram you can generate monstrous reads and writes in 1:2, and 1:1 if your CPU is up to it. You would have to increase SOC voltage for sure. For 2k 1:1 I run 1.156v. I can only run high speeds like that with 2 sticks of ram. I cant really break away from 1900 with 4 sticks, sometimes 1933 but its pretty tough.

If you count at 1:1 ratio then it's like all Zen 2 and Zen 3 suppose to work at 1800MHz. Some will run at 1900MHz but maybe 1% will run at 2000MHz. This is with low capacity RAM and assuming that IMC can handle it. If you set a 1:2 ratio then sometimes it goes higher but the performance will be worse.
If you operate with Zen naming then Ryzen 4000 is Zen 2 too and it goes up to ~2100-2300MHz IF/IMC. I have no idea what about 5000 APU.

Personally, I see no significant difference between the average Zen 2 and Zen 3. The only difference is probably that Zen 2 couldn't really run at 1933MHz+ while there are single Zen 3 chips (mainly 5950X) that can do that. Other than that, if there are no issues with motherboards then Ryzen 3000 and 5000 run about the same.

I wonder if its just the big CPU's that have a problem past 1800? I've talked to a few guys who can do 2K as well.

From what I gather on my system, the mem divisor shows differently. At 3600 my divisor shows: 3:54, but NB frequency shows the proper speed of 1800. Latency is 59ns (my best score)

I managed 4000 once. First divisor showed 2000, but then it switched up showing 900. Of course latency was atrocious @ 72+ns

I'm still trying to figure out the divisor on my new AMD rig. It was alot easier to figure out on my 7700K rig.

Im hanging at 1866 tight. Runs better than 1900 slightly looser.
3900X and 3800X.

Thanks all for the responses. My main reason for asking was more to check if anything was much different in Zen 3, and it doesn't sound like it is. Small differences are of no significance, but if they could go up to for example 3000 MHz, that would be something interesting. It is also interesting the APUs behave a bit differently. I wonder if that is more due to them being monolithic instead of the chiplet design. I assume the APUs still use IF internally but could have an advantage from tighter packing.

The follow on from this is what might happen when DDR5 arrives? With ram speeds going to be ball park 2x DDR4, what will AMD do? Will they redesign IF to work at 2x higher clocks? Will IF work at similar clocks to now, but 2x wide? Or will it remain unchanged? I also noticed even running 1:1, there has to be some buffering involved in ram>core transfers. IF width is 2x wider than dual channel DDR4, so to fill one IF transfer you need two ram transfers.

If they don't increase IOD-CCD IF bandwidth to match DDR5 there is little benefit going DDR5 on non-APUs, so the question is how?

APUs are monolithic but also have significantly less cache. I have no idea how 5000 APUs are acting but 4000 have higher max IF/IMC clock while they have less cache and a quite low clock what causes them to be slower than Ryzen 3000. Count that fast and large cache is in some part covering delays caused by IMC/RAM. This is why we don't see so significant difference because of RAM timings on Ryzen and in most cases, something like CL14 is barely faster than CL18 (regardless of what people are saying around the forums).

Even in integrated graphics operations, that high IF/memory clock isn't helping as much as expected. I was expecting much better results going from standard DDR4-3200 to DDR4-4533 1:1 or DDR4-5200+ 1:2 ... but it's barely visible and even if there is a 10-15% performance gain then these APUs are slow in games so it's hard to see. It's about ~40GB vs ~65-72GB memory bandwidth keeping about the same latency. I highly doubt that anyone would spend money on top memory series only so integrated graphics would run a bit faster.

I don't think that the next Ryzen generation will use the same IF design. There have to be next improvements for cache and access time. Right now in theory is high internal bandwidth but there are differences between single and dual CCX CPUs. In single CCX chips, there is dual link for memory read but single for write. Still, memory read is higher on dual CCX CPUs and in some configurations to reach the same bandwidth, can be used lower memory/IF/IMC clock. Clearly it's affected by something else but I wasn't digging into the detailed specs so I'm not sure what is causing that.

I wonder if its just the big CPU's that have a problem past 1800? I've talked to a few guys who can do 2K as well.

I would say that almost only 5900X/5950X can pass 1900MHz IF. I haven't seen any non-5950X reaching 2000MHz at 1:1:1 that would be confirmed with any stability test.

I tested maybe 20 different Ryzen 5000 CPUs ( 5600X/5800X/5900X but no 5950X). Not even one could run at 1933MHz+ IF and maybe 2 could boot but were crashing in simple tests. Most were stable at 1900MHz with 2x8GB RAM. Most were stable with 4x8GB/2x16GB/2x32GB at 1866MHz. All except 2 that were clearly broken, could run at 1800MHz with 2 or 4 sticks of 8/16/32GB RAM.
About the same was with all Ryzen 3000 that I tested, with one exception that I didn't test 32GB memory modules on Ryzen 3000 but 16GB modules are acting about the same.

Last edited:
I would say that almost only 5900X/5950X can pass 1900MHz IF. I haven't seen any non-5950X reaching 2000MHz at 1:1:1 that would be confirmed with any stability test.

I tested maybe 20 different Ryzen 5000 CPUs ( 5600X/5800X/5900X but no 5950X). Not even one could run at 1933MHz+ IF and maybe 2 could boot but were crashing in simple tests. Most were stable at 1900MHz with 2x8GB RAM. Most were stable with 4x8GB/2x16GB/2x32GB at 1866MHz. All except 2 that were clearly broken, could run at 1800MHz with 2 or 4 sticks of 8/16/32GB RAM.
About the same was with all Ryzen 3000 that I tested, with one exception that I didn't test 32GB memory modules on Ryzen 3000 but 16GB modules are acting about the same.

Crazy, maybe it was AGESA related?

occt2k.JPG

Edit:

My 3600XT wont do a lick over 1900 IF.

Edit again:

Not stable but still made it :D

2.PNG

Last edited:
There are always exceptions so the CPU on the screenshot is in that 1% of lucky winners ;)
Count that there are many faulty CPUs too. This is what barely anyone talks about but if I remember it right then there is a higher % of DOA than CPUs that can make 2000MHz 1:1.

Indeed.

That I could not comment on, I haven't seen anything recently about dead CPU's, but I do know they are out there. I think I have talked to 3 or 4 guys who can make 2K. Not many people are into overclocking that much these days so not a ton of results.

APUs are monolithic but also have significantly less cache. I have no idea how 5000 APUs are acting but 4000 have higher max IF/IMC clock while they have less cache and a quite low clock what causes them to be slower than Ryzen 3000. Count that fast and large cache is in some part covering delays caused by IMC/RAM. This is why we don't see so significant difference because of RAM timings on Ryzen and in most cases, something like CL14 is barely faster than CL18 (regardless of what people are saying around the forums).

Would a smaller cache, that is likely designed the same apart from capacity, allow higher clocks? I'm not sure about that. Bigger caches may incur more latency as in effect there is a bigger search area to find that data. Does that directly affect clock? Hard to say without knowing more about the implementation.

Caches do mitigate the performance hit due to hitting ram, but it only goes so far. You will still have to go to ram at some point. To me it is more about latency masking, given you can pre-fetch data. As such bandwidth still matters far more, although to me dual rank also helps a lot.

Even in integrated graphics operations, that high IF/memory clock isn't helping as much as expected. I was expecting much better results going from standard DDR4-3200 to DDR4-4533 1:1 or DDR4-5200+ 1:2 ... but it's barely visible and even if there is a 10-15% performance gain then these APUs are slow in games so it's hard to see. It's about ~40GB vs ~65-72GB memory bandwidth keeping about the same latency. I highly doubt that anyone would spend money on top memory series only so integrated graphics would run a bit faster.

The balance between GPU cores and ram bandwidth is likely chosen to match them. There would be little value in putting in more cores if they can't be well fed. That might explain why going much faster in ram doesn't provide as much benefit as expected, it will still be core limited. If you know you will have more bandwidth with future ram technologies, then you can scale up the cores more to balance with that.

Hypothetically, DDR5 6400 would give about 100GB/s bandwidth, which then roughly equals a GTX 1050. If a future APU can reach that performance level it would be barely good enough for demanding titles at 1080p.

I agree, it doesn't really make sense to pair top end ram with an APU just for gaming, but we will see an uplift in the baseline when the time comes. I hope 1st gen DDR5 CPUs will support 6400 up front, even if a more affordable speed in 4xxx will be baseline.

I don't think that the next Ryzen generation will use the same IF design. There have to be next improvements for cache and access time. Right now in theory is high internal bandwidth but there are differences between single and dual CCX CPUs. In single CCX chips, there is dual link for memory read but single for write. Still, memory read is higher on dual CCX CPUs and in some configurations to reach the same bandwidth, can be used lower memory/IF/IMC clock. Clearly it's affected by something else but I wasn't digging into the detailed specs so I'm not sure what is causing that.

I think you mean CCDs. Anyway, that's the open question. What could/would AMD do for DDR5? Current IF will choke on that much data. Intel has historically run async in three domains (cores, L3 cache, ram) with good performance. I wonder if AMD will have to break up with their sync everything thinking. Since Zen 2 they already put in the ability to do so, even if it is best not to for now, it could be a stepping stone to something down the line.

Back