• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the verdict on Windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can anyone tell me how to get into the bios on a new Windows 8 machine.

Also, the salesman who I bought the new HP Win 8 machine from told me it could not be retrofitted to Windows 7. Can anyone confirm this?

If it is Windows RT, it will be permanently* affected by the "secure boot" anti-feature, and not being able to get into BIOS or replace the operating system is a possibility.

* until the various internet brains hack their way around "secure boot".

You realize that the only reason there was an issue with more than 16GB is because you were using home premium which only accepts up-to 16GB of RAM. Whereas Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate could accept up-to 196GB. I still dislike windows 8, and until they give me back my start button i will dislike Windows 8.

For instance i got a 90 day free trial of Windows 8. Now i used maybe 20 of those days before going out and buying Windows 7 Pro, while barely having enough money to afford it. I chose Windows 7 Pro over lunch at school for two weeks. That's how much i hated Windows 8

Windows 8 isn't so bad when add the windows 7 explorer, so you get the start menu back. What's annoying is they went ahead and eliminated the aero theme so we back with essentially a windows 95-98 theme in the days of 4 and 6gb graphics cards. They are always taking steps backwards, albeit a few forwards at the same time.

That's what I never understood about windows. They always release 3-4 different versions of windows. It's all about marketing to them. Obviously, I cant blame them for trying to make money, but for us techs it makes it difficult when people come asking about how to join their new laptop with home premium on to the domain. And we have to tell them no can do.

They basically take a complete working operating system and eliminate certain things to package and sell for "home" use. Now a 16GB limitation. It's all about money to Microsoft. Look at Android. It's already a force to be reckoned with because its open source. Look at all the innovation. Microsoft is lacking in that department.

At least the memory limitations this time aroud aren't stupidly low. They're still artificially limiting, but are far beyond what any "home" machine will be able to use.

it blows solely on UI department in my case and because where i work has the most ignorant people that dont listen to me when i say

"all the computer i have have windows 8 on them and i know nothing about it"

which in actuality means

"dont come running to me for 'tech support' because i cant and wont help you. i'm not your support guy"

so when they come back asking for help they get pissed off at me because i am supposed to know, instinctivly, how everything works that i sell.

i'm sorry but wally world doesent pay me enough to keep up with all the useless **** they sell.

**** i have to find a better job

it blows solely on UI department in my case and because where i work has the most ignorant people that dont listen to me when i say

"all the computer i have have windows 8 on them and i know nothing about it"

which in actuality means

"dont come running to me for 'tech support' because i cant and wont help you. i'm not your support guy"

so when they come back asking for help they get pissed off at me because i am supposed to know, instinctivly, how everything works that i sell.

i'm sorry but wally world doesent pay me enough to keep up with all the useless **** they sell.

**** i have to find a better job

My answer to friend/family random tech questions:

UuB5WhR.jpg

Every machine I used had a BIOS option to disable Secure Boot. You may also have a need to temporarily switch away from UEFI boot in BIOS to boot from CD.

With Classic Shell installed, people will not bother you because it restores the Start Menu and it is freeware.

Every machine I used had a BIOS option to disable Secure Boot. You may also have a need to temporarily switch away from UEFI boot in BIOS to boot from CD.

With Classic Shell installed, people will not bother you because it restores the Start Menu and it is freeware.

Every machine you've used is not a Windows RT machine, then.

Right.

I thought we were talking about desktops. What is the compatibility outlook for RT? Is there any kind of a work around in the works to install windows programs?

the only thing wrong with Vista is people were still stuck on 10 year old computers their XP installs came on and OEM selling crap systems with 512Mb of ram.

True that! Vista yes was odd and everyone was also stuck in the XP mind set. Was nice to see something new. Now not like it didn't have its own quirks but I switched to Vista when RC1 came out, was on it til the day Win7 was released which was a good upgrade.

Like you said though, most people where trying to install Vista on outdated machines. 512MB/1Gig of ram is just not enough for that OS. 2Gigs is very plausible for 32-bit and 4Gigs for 64-bit. Its just the way the OS works, yes it uses more ram up but its faster because of it, just need to give it enough to make it feasible.

With Win7 still took the concepts of Vista, but made it better, utilizing less ram. So much so that I can run Win7 32-bit very nicely, surprise there, on a laptop that will crawl with XP on it. Only 256Mb of ram to!

As for Win8, mind you I haven't given it a fair/lengthy evaluation but if it just had a start button, or start button interface + giving me the ability to use the metro style at the same time (like click start and gives me the old style, click maybe the windows button gives me metro) I'm sure it would give me a chance to get use to it and like it. Though I think Metro is too setup for touch based environment, which most PC's do not have, especially desktops.

Vista also introduced UAC.....which was and still is largely useless. The annoyance many faced with it and having to run apps as administrator cannot be forgotten. Apple's commercials poking fun at Windows had a great deal of truth in them.

Last edited:
Vista also introduced UAC.....which was and still is largely useless. The annoyance many faced with it and having to run apps as administrator cannot be forgotten. Apple's commercials poking fun at Windows had a great deal of truth in them.

How about a BIG FAT FREAKING NO. That's not a Windows problem. Applications are doing things horribly wrong if they need administrator privileges.

With Classic Shell, i like it.

And I like the fact that it brings consistency between the computers and tablets worlds.

You realize that the only reason there was an issue with more than 16GB is because you were using home premium which only accepts up-to 16GB of RAM. Whereas Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate could accept up-to 196GB. I still dislike windows 8, and until they give me back my start button i will dislike Windows 8.

I did realise that. I also realised that paying hundreds of dollars in order to 7Pro upgrade and use a few more GB (Max is 24 on my board) is not as good as the Win8 special upgrade pricing in January. ($400 vs $30 I think it was)
At the moment 7Pro still retails for $80 more than Win8 here.
A no-brainer choice for building a video workstation on a budget.

you can buy online keys at Microsoft for pro
it would be like $140ish

but windows 8 stucks
I have had lots of random issues

How about a BIG FAT FREAKING NO. That's not a Windows problem. Applications are doing things horribly wrong if they need administrator privileges.

Riiiight. It's everyone, but Microsoft's fault. And UAC was so awesome, it essentially put Symantec and McAfee out of business. :rolleyes:

Back