• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your favorite M$ OS of all time ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my favorite.... .... favorite?

windows favorite... hmmm

well i dont like any windows OS, :)

but ill tell you the one thasts been the least of a pain in the ***, and that is win98se/winxp

Win 98 SE for me. My dad has XP Pro, and his comuter has to be on before mine to beable to use the internet through a router. My computer takes control over every thing before his. All of my computers here now have some problem. His doesnt work with a lot of stuff, and mine gets 5 dozen error reports in IE and MSN every freakin day. It's probbably because I'm using ME, because I can't get 98SE off the recovery disc.

XP pro for me, does somebody remember windows 1.0 that was really a programming disaster, I suppose Microsoft was employing cows as programmers that years :)

All OSes before 95 were just GUI shells riding on top of a preinstalled DOS base. 95/98/ME have DOS built in.

khagan said:
XP Pro ...apart from the activation thing it is the bomb

That's the main reason I was so late to adopt XP. When an IT friend turned me on to the corporate edition, that barrier was gone. I really like XPpro now. I need to buy additional licences so I can install it on future machines I'll build. Maybe newegg has 'em at academic pricing.

My vote goes to Win2003. Its very fast and effcient like Windows2000 Pro but has all the pluses of WinXP Pro + the advanced server functions. Once you set it up like a workstation its great!

I've had my install running just as fast as the first day i installed it, even when installing/uninstalling a bunch of apps. This is a plus over XP.

Only gripe is driver support. Couldn't get my digiCam to install yet.

Windows 2000 is the only M$ os that i could get to run with out needing to reinstall at least once a month, I had this install on for over 7 months, untill the PSU fryed teh motherboard.

I'm running NT4 again :p

I've rolled back to NT4 on my PPro200 duallie.

A PITA to set up compared to w2k but much faster on legacy hardware.

Now if I could just get my SB Live 5.1 to work :mad:

DaBigJ said:
Try enabling WIA. It's a service, and it stands for Windows Image Acquisition.

Tried that, I read the Workstation guide somewhere. I could get my scanner to work so I know its specific issues with the camera drivers.

It doesn't matter. It'll get a CF reader or somthing.

I was having problems with my Canon scanner drivers conflicting with my Canon camera.

Windows 2000, by far. Second to that with the fancy shmancy stuff is Windows XP Pro, and 98SE 3rd. XP Home, you don't have as much features and cannot join a domain in a large network. (SUCKS).

I liked NT4 but it doesn't like my SBL5.1 sound card.

W2kPro is so much easier to set up.

XP is only best if you have 2GHz or more and at least 512Mb of RAM.

WinXP r0x0r3d m4h b0x0r5! :D

But in a very close second place....
MS-DOS 6.1

:) The most feature-ridden MS-DOS out there. Complete with defragger, anti-virus, and a plethora of other nifty things. I still have the manual for it :D :D

7.X (aka: Win95/98 DOS) sucked.

After DOS comes Win98, Win95, Win3.11, and finally WinME ;)

JigPu

Back