• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Kbps is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TekeTorvo said:
I have all my music at 256 Kbps, but my new Audigy sound card advertises 198 Kbps. Is the extra Kbps just taking up space? I mean, if I change all my music to 198, will I hear any difference?

If you do re-render your music, you will lose additional quality. Everytime you render mp3's you lose certain frequency regardless of the quality.

If you have a new version of nero rip using the MP4 format they say a 92k MP4 is the same as a 192k MP3, so a smaller filesize same quality.
In MP3 format i think 320k is good quality, so in MP4 i bet 192k is just as good.

I don't feel like writing a long post so I will just say check this site out, there is endless information there about every kind of codec and encoder and decoder ever. Check it out.

Personally I find 192Kbps is perfect. I've got pretty good speakers and OK ears, so I can hear the difference betwen 128 and 192, though any higher and I can't. Just wasted space. Lately I've been encoding to FLAC though since I have the space and don't trust my CDs to live long in their current environment...

JigPu

i usually have my MP3's be 256 - 360 in VBR. I have grown to love VBR.

maybe its just me and my ears. but i like my songs to have good qualiy. If that means they use more space, than so be it. i hate listening to low quality music.

For the most part, I also rip to 192. Anything lower I can definitely tell the difference, especially on high-end stuff and cymbals. Lower bitrates make the music sound tinny and "watery", if you know what I mean. :) For me, 192 is a good medium between sound quality & disk space. If I had the disk space, I would go lossless.

X1g

Back