• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What memory should I choose for small upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berserker14

Mobo: gigabyte x58a-ud3r rev 2.0
Current ram: 3x2gb corsair xms3 1600mhz (@ 1480mhz)
CPU: i7 950 3.06ghz (@3.88ghz)
note: In the next 2-3 weeks I will be swapping the i7 950 for a Xeon x5670

I am looking at upgrading my tiny amount of ram to 12 GB. Question I have is, what will perform better... should I spend $97aud for another 3x2gb corsair xms3 1600mhz to get to 12gb total with 6 sticks, or get 2x8gb with this for $120aud -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-2x8GB-...mory-ram-Low-Dendity-/182491464778?rmvSB=true

Obviously 16gb sounds better, but I've never seen that brand and don't know how 16gb of that would stack up vs 12gb of Corsair XMS3. From what I understand 2x8gb would be better on the memory controller? I am not sure though, so any input is very much appreciated, thanks!

Id get the cheapest you can get, honestly. Your money is better spent saving for a system upgrade, not $100 on ram. I mean, sell that rig for $100 and you are $300 away from something that will smoke it..

What could I get for 400 that'll smoke it exactly? Everything I looked at was far more expensive, what am I missing.

I am using the PC for gaming/everyday browsing, apart from what I listed above I have a 4gig 960GTX turbo as well.

What mobo/cpu/ram could I get for $400 (still using my GTX960 obviously) that'll smoke a x5670 with say 16gig of ram ($155 total for both as I already have the mobo)

Not trying to have a go, just want to honestly know.

EDIT: Dude, by the way, I live in Australia, so I am talking AUD here, which isnt a huge difference... buuuuuut everything probably costs 2x as much :p

Last edited:
i DO AGREE WITH e_d THAT YOUR SYSTEM IS GETTING A BIT OLDER, PROBABLY MISSING SOME OF THE NEWER INSTRUCTION SETS but for light gaming is probably just fine but it's likely time you did consider an overhaul.
Are you running out of available memory? Is that the issue? If you do get memory I would go with the 3x4 sets to take advantage of the triple channel controller on the CPU something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/12GB-G-Skil...179293?hash=item4d3dbb7d5d:g:8icAAOSwYmZXI4-j

Thanks for the input, decent enough price too...I know the systems older, but even now with the i7 950/gtx 960 4gig turbo/6gig 1480mhz dd3 I can run intense games like Total war warhammer with great FPS on ultra/high mixed settings. So only looking forward to what i can get from a little extra ram (because 6 just isnt enough) and a xeon x5670 :)

You have other issues with this system, namely cooling issues if I recall correctly, that you should address first if you are going to sink any money into it. But I agree with Earth Dog. I think putting that money into the piggy bank for a system upgrade is smarter.

The Xeon x5670 won't help much at all. The memory at 12 GB will help when you use that much.

Back