• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 950 + Corsair xms3 1600 cl7 OC questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Berserker14

Hey guys, to start off, yes my PC is 6 years old (except the graphics card/SSD, got them more recently)

Intel i7 950 3.06ghz
GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R rev 2.0
Corsair XMS3 3x2gb 1600mhz ram CL7
4gig GTX 960 Turbo

Recently I purchased a decent heatsink due to needing one badly (CPU was underclocked to 2.6 and still running at 100c), and now have realised I can a lot more out of my PC, but I wanted to check with people that actually know what they are doing whether this is the most optimal set up for gaming (don't use it for any vid rendering etc, just gaming and general pc usage). Only really need to know more about cpu/memory, MSI Afterburner does everything I want for the GTX anyway.

The CPU is currently running @ 3.88ghz
Ram @ 1480mhz
CPU desktop temp is 40-45c
CPU intensive games for extended periods bring it up to 75c

Below are the settings from CPUZ for CPU and Memory
CPU - https://images.discordapp.net/.eJwNxUsOhCAMANC7cABavkO8...

Memory - https://images.discordapp.net/.eJwNyFEOgyAMANC7cACqBYF5...

I think I'm doing ok with the CPU side of things (I think...) But I'm not really sure what to do with the memory when it comes to gaming performance... I've heard CAS latency is better than DRAM freq etc but I honestly don't know and looking for a bit of input. And obviously if I'm stuffing something up else where like the CPU please let me know :D

Thanks in advance for any help.

You're kind of stuck in between dividers with the RAM. In order to overclock the CPU you had to lower the starting frequency of the RAM to keep the RAM from becoming unstable. But apparently you can't raise the BCLK any more to get the RAM frequency closer to the rated 1600 mhz because the CPU overclock is already maxed out. So what you would need to try is to lower the CPU frequency multiplier 1x and start increasing the BCLK frequency again. CPU frequency multipliers on locked CPUs are only locked in the upward direction. You cannot raise them but you can lower them.

What we really need from you is some attached pictures of CPU-z tabs: "CPU," "Memory," and "SPD". And we also need a pic of Hardware monitor that shows temps and voltages after a 20 minute Prime95 stress test. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop during the stress test so as to capture max temps and voltages.

You can crop and capture the images from your desktop using the Windows Snipping Tool. Attache them directly to your posts by clicking on the Go Advanced button at the lower right hand corner of any new post windows.

Here at OC Forums we like as much stuff as possible attached directly to posts rather than linked on the web.

Last edited:
Both of your links are non-functional/dead.

Comes up with nothing when I click on them. Posting your images/uploading your images here would be easier than linking to some other website. Or make it easier for us the assist you.

Also, more information is needed. What heatsink/cooler are you using? What settings are your voltages at?

unknown.png
unknown.png
5.png

The cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 103 Universal CPU Cooler

Will get prime95 and HWmonitor and run it tonight. Use CPUtemp currently but I dont think that it shows voltages

From what I had read regarding memory for gaming, the mhz isnt as important as the amount you have (my measley 6gig sucks I know...) but also the timings/mhz combined can be more important than the mhz alone, no idea if this is correct or not, just what Ive heard.

Very new and trying to learn more :) I know the PC / cooler etc isnt a beast, just want to be able to do what i can with it. The minor tweaks I have made so far have made a massive impact of performance and now Im getting a little obsessed on making sure its fine tuned haha.

Last edited:
unknown.png

20min Prime95 stress test... Seems to be running at a cool 100c? haha. Not sure if I should be reading CPU up the top or the individual core temps...

Individual core temps. "CPU Temp" is actually the temp of the socket area.

Your core temps are over the top. Even your idle temps reflect that the Hyper T1 is seriously inadequate. You might repeat this stress test with the case side panel off. Poor case ventilation can also contribute to high temps. You make no mention of the make and model of your case so we have no idea about ventilation as a potential issue. At 1.376 your vcore is at the high end of safe voltage envelope for that CPU generation. I would not push that parameter anymore.

You need a high end cooler to cope with the watts you are making. I also wonder if removing the current cooler, cleaning the surfaces and redoing the TIM would help some.

Last edited:
Individual core temps. "CPU Temp" is actually the temp of the socket area.

Your core temps are over the top. Even your idle temps reflect that the Hyper T1 is seriously inadequate. You might repeat this stress test with the case side panel off. Poor case ventilation can also contribute to high temps. You make no mention of the make and model of your case so we have no idea about ventilation as a potential issue. At 1.376 your vcore is at the high end of safe voltage envelope for that CPU generation. I would not push that parameter anymore.

You need a high end cooler to cope with the watts you are making. I also wonder if removing the current cooler, cleaning the surfaces and redoing the TIM would help some.

Yeh, they aren't over the top with what I am doing day to day... but the stress test definitely sent it way to high. The cooler, as I mentioned in the original post is nothing special, I was actually surprised how much better it was than the stock though for how cheap it was.

Side panel is off, but the Pc is stuck in a desk cabinet sort of thing which probably doesn't help, however, as you mentioned its the heat is just pushing too much from the CPU from a cheap cooler.

The TIM wont help, as i already did that about a week ago and I'm 99% sure I did it pretty well.

Back to the original post, I'm not looking to get some insane overclock out of it, just wondering if I have my memory settings the best they can be for my needs/memory safety?

Like I said before, if you want to get your memory frequency higher you will need to lower the CPU multiplier and increase the BCLK. I've never had that CPU so I cannot say what the memory controller is capable of as far as running memory faster than the rating of the IMC. Maybe some others members can comment on this and provide more help. But before anything else you need to get a better CPU cooler and better ventilation.

Like I said before, if you want to get your memory frequency higher you will need to lower the CPU multiplier and increase the BCLK. I've never had that CPU so I cannot say what the memory controller is capable of as far as running memory faster than the rating of the IMC. Maybe some others members can comment on this and provide more help. But before anything else you need to get a better CPU cooler and better ventilation.

Yep, I understand anything more to the BLCK will be too much heat wise, but am I doing the right thing memory timing wise (I wasn't really expecting to be able to get it to 1600mhz tbh).

From the original post "I've heard CAS latency is better than DRAM freq etc but I honestly don't know and looking for a bit of input" guess thats what I need to know more... Since I posted this I have purchased a Xeon x5670 which will arrive in about 2 weeks time... hopefully it will run ok this old mobo/ram :p

And... I'm considering adding 2x8gb sticks and getting rid of the 3x2gb corsair (or purchasing another 3x2gb to make it 6x2gb but that might put more stress on the memory controller?), still pretty undecided on which route to go with this. However my original question still stands, as when I get whatever I get, I'd still love to know whats the best settings for my PC usages :) (gaming mostly) - Heard ECC ram is the way to go with Xeon's but not sure why exactly.

Thanks for your replies so far Trent, appreciated. I will be investing in a new cooler if I cant get the x5670 running at the speed I want it to be on this cheap-o, yet still satisfying heat sink :)

Last edited:
not sure if it was board related or cpu related but the 20x multi with higher bclk didnt work for some. i would suggest going to a 18x multi first with a 200 bclk and adjust you memory accordingly, if you know it will do DDR3-1600 go for it. as far as Cas vs speed, with ddr3 its a wash and ddr4 it really doesnt matter. i prefer a middle ground tightest timing for the ram speed im after, was based more on how much ram cost per size to speed back then.

On LGA1366 the memory controller tends to get unstable if you go much past 1700MHz if I'm remembering correctly.

Yep, I understand anything more to the BLCK will be too much heat wise, but am I doing the right thing memory timing wise (I wasn't really expecting to be able to get it to 1600mhz tbh).

From the original post "I've heard CAS latency is better than DRAM freq etc but I honestly don't know and looking for a bit of input" guess thats what I need to know more... Since I posted this I have purchased a Xeon x5670 which will arrive in about 2 weeks time... hopefully it will run ok this old mobo/ram :p

And... I'm considering adding 2x8gb sticks and getting rid of the 3x2gb corsair (or purchasing another 3x2gb to make it 6x2gb but that might put more stress on the memory controller?), still pretty undecided on which route to go with this. However my original question still stands, as when I get whatever I get, I'd still love to know whats the best settings for my PC usages :) (gaming mostly) - Heard ECC ram is the way to go with Xeon's but not sure why exactly.

Thanks for your replies so far Trent, appreciated. I will be investing in a new cooler if I cant get the x5670 running at the speed I want it to be on this cheap-o, yet still satisfying heat sink :)

You don't want to get those 8GB sticks, the LGA1366 platform only supports up to 4GB per DIMM/RAM slot.

In any case, you won't see much difference on LGA1366 from tighter timings (or probably most other platforms for that matter). I currently run a set of 3x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600MHz sticks in my LGA1366 PC rated at 1600MHz with 7-8-7-24 timings, and overclocking them to tighter timings of 6-8-6-20 didn't really make a noticeable difference. Not worth it for everyday tasks, just benchmark scores (by a small margin).

Not if you lower the CPU multiplier at the same time to offset the increase in CPU frequency that raising the BCLK would bring. I get the feeling you're not understanding what I'm trying to say.

On LGA1366 the memory controller tends to get unstable if you go much past 1700MHz if I'm remembering correctly.

You don't want to get those 8GB sticks, the LGA1366 platform only supports up to 4GB per DIMM/RAM slot.

In any case, you won't see much difference on LGA1366 from tighter timings (or probably most other platforms for that matter). I currently run a set of 3x2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600MHz sticks in my LGA1366 PC rated at 1600MHz with 7-8-7-24 timings, and overclocking them to tighter timings of 6-8-6-20 didn't really make a noticeable difference. Not worth it for everyday tasks, just benchmark scores (by a small margin).

Thanks mate, good to know, the timings wont matter now anyway as in one of the other posts a bit lower I mentioned im going to a xeon x5670 which only goes to 1333mhz anyways :)

Re: the 8gig, yeh I checked that out after I posted and realised it as well!

Thanks though for the rest of the response. Exactly what I was looking for, now I know what direction I should be going with my ram purchase and timings.

Not if you lower the CPU multiplier at the same time to offset the increase in CPU frequency that raising the BCLK would bring. I get the feeling you're not understanding what I'm trying to say.

Hahaha, mate, Ive asked a question youve managed to not answer in multiple replies, I feel much more like you aren't understanding me.

I do understand how BLCK and multiplier works but thanks.

Thanks mate, good to know, the timings wont matter now anyway as in one of the other posts a bit lower I mentioned im going to a xeon x5670 which only goes to 1333mhz anyways :)

Thanks though for the rest of the response. Exactly what I was looking for, now I know what direction I should be going with my ram purchase and timings.
It may only be rated to support 1333MHz, but that means less than you think it does on LGA1366.

That's only what it's officially rated to support by the CPU manufacturer, it doesn't mean it's a hard and fast rule that your memory won't run any faster than that (or that it won't remain stable at higher speeds). In some cases they under-rate it's capabilities by quite a bit for the sake of compatibility and/or stability (just in case it won't be stable at higher frequencies on some systems).

My i7 920, 930, 960, Xeon E5520, L5630, W3530, and E5640 are only rated to 1066MHz, but I regularly ran my memory at 1333-1600MHz with no problems.

Last edited:

Hahaha, mate, Ive asked a question youve managed to not answer in multiple replies, I feel much more like you aren't understanding me.

I do understand how BLCK and multiplier works but thanks.

My understanding was that the question you refer to was, "How do I get my memory to run faster?" Is that correct?

Back