• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Motherboard would you buy if......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Instead of those xeons chips, im kinda surprised you dont just get a i7 X980. better yet you could just spend the same amount of money and get this six core xeon instead of that quad you listed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117230
or get this OEM xeon
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117242.

The thing is these were FREE and here they sit with the RAM too!
really though with that much power the only things im thinking of are FAH/Rosei/SETI and then leave one core free for network based storage handling.

Im not familiar with those acronyms..?

well free is always good so no problems there, but you could just sell the stuff on ebay to make some money. FAH= folding at home, seti well its seti = search for life outside of our galaxy, Rosie = rosetta similar to FAH.

well free is always good so no problems there, but you could just sell the stuff on ebay to make some money. FAH= folding at home, seti well its seti = search for life outside of our galaxy, Rosie = rosetta similar to FAH.

I see these i7's you guys OC are similar in price. Tell me the bennies to switching. im a bit confusededed....:shrug:

well when you are looking at having to buy new CPU's or having free ones, there isnt a single difference that get me to spend the money.

I see these i7's you guys OC are similar in price. Tell me the bennies to switching. im a bit confusededed....:shrug:
well the main thing is if you want to oc the cpu, you can not do that on the xeon based boards. you can do that with the i7 boards, well you can with the SR 2. i guess in either case it really doesnt matter much.... you might save a bit of money by selling the current cpus/ram then buying the x980.

i was just saying sell the stuff, i havent seen a post that says you really need the stuff or the upgraded pc. i know the teams here would love to have you onboard if you setup it just to run the programs i talked about.

i was just saying sell the stuff, i havent seen a post that says you really need the stuff or the upgraded pc..

Need? nah... it's about the fun and oportunity to learn and play!

i know the teams here would love to have you onboard if you setup it just to run the programs i talked about.

So what hardware do I have that makes these programs so attractive for you all?

We are mostly overclockers here. The EVGA SR-2 is rather unique in that it was actually designed with overclocking in mind... other server boards are designed to run stock and don't offer overclocking options in the BIOS. The SR-2 isn't cheap... it costs ~ twice as much as other high end enthusiast motherboards. Keep the chips or sell them... it doesn't change what has already been recommended with regards to the SR-2.

Here is link/thread on another forum dedicated to this motherboard:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252591

Well, "I" would sell the SAS drives and get significantly more storage via SATA.

We are mostly overclockers here. The EVGA SR-2 is rather unique in that it was actually designed with overclocking in mind... other server boards are designed to run stock and don't offer overclocking options in the BIOS. The SR-2 isn't cheap... it costs ~ twice as much as other high end enthusiast motherboards. Keep the chips or sell them... it doesn't change what has already been recommended with regards to the SR-2.

Here is link/thread on another forum dedicated to this motherboard:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=252591

Thank you for the link! I noticed that in that thread those guys are frothing about using the Procs I have with that board x5560's!
Now I dont know what the intended use they are after, so im gonna have to ask em

Im gonna buy it and come back and ask for help, if you all are so kind. My Procs are already "unlocked"

WT

oh I have a 1100w PSU that came out of a Dell precision T7500. Can I use it with that board?

Well, GAME ON! I just ordered it. Should be here tommorrow!

polite help with what else I need? what is y'alls recomendation as to what heat sinks I should get?

Are you overclocking? Or did they not come with them?

oh I have a 1100w PSU that came out of a Dell precision T7500. Can I use it with that board?
It should have enough power, but does it have enough connectors. Look at the board from newegg and see if it has the right connections...

(2 8 pin CPU and 1 24 pin on the board).

Are you overclocking? Or did they not come with them?

I want to experiment with OC, yes. did they not come with heat sinks? NO.

And re-thanks for your help.

the PSU i will look and repost. but was told that dells pinouts are not standardized. so I might need a conversion cable?

Conversion cable or another PSU that has 2 8 pin CPU jacks... and I dont know who has those to be honest (well actually, I think my Seasonic X750 does)...

Actually the SR-2 will take 4- 8pin connectors plus the 24 pin main, if you plan on overclocking to any decent degree ;)
I would buy a new PSU, don't use the Dell.

If this is really all for experimentation and fun. You better hit the Benchmarking Team. Follow the link in my sig.... you'll have fun... trust me!

Get out.. .really?!! I looked at the pic and only saw two... *looks again*

Ok, I see 4. They are covered by stickers.. is that really needed though for 'normal' overclocking? For example, Im not using my other one and aside from slamming into a 220bclk wall, I can do just fine...

Get out.. .really?!! I looked at the pic and only saw two... *looks again*

Ok, I see 4. They are covered by stickers.. is that really needed though for 'normal' overclocking? For example, Im not using my other one and aside from slamming into a 220bclk wall, I can do just fine...

Yes you are correct. I was being a bit facetious, when I said "overclocking to a decent degree" I should have stated that... my bad. Unless he's dropping LN2, which HE BETTER ;), he shouldn't need all 4. I mean... what's the point of any computer... if not for extreme benchmarking???!!! :chair:

Back