• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Motherboard would you buy if......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most quality (Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, Enermax, etc...) PSU's 850W and up, will have 2-8 pin CPU connectors.

Yes you are correct. I was being a bit facetious, when I said "overclocking to a decent degree" I should have stated that... my bad. Unless he's dropping LN2, which HE BETTER ;), he shouldn't need all 4. I mean... what's the point of any computer... if not for extreme benchmarking???!!! :chair:

Okay hwere we go! (my lack of knowedge) what is a LN2?:shrug:

Conversion cable or another PSU that has 2 8 pin CPU jacks... and I dont know who has those to be honest (well actually, I think my Seasonic X750 does)...

Not to argue just to inform and learn (and yes hope to use cause i have it already!). this DELL PSU is "1100W PSU is 80 Plus Silver certified" (WTH?)

it has:

2) 8 pin cables labeled "CPU1" "CPU2"

2) video card cabels an 8 pin AND a seperate 6 pin

4) seperate cables with 2 SATA power connectors on eah

1) 24 pin mainboard plug

1) old style ps with a floppy or card reader mini poer on anothr cable

Actually the SR-2 will take 4- 8pin connectors plus the 24 pin main, if you plan on overclocking to any decent degree ;) !

What degree is a decent degree?:drool:

Yes this is for fun and learning...........sooooooo now tell me what will be what this machine is/should be "designed for doing?"

I would imagine 4Ghz CPU's are fine and no need to overclock the memory. Not sure good this board actually is though...

What degree is a decent degree?:drool:

Yes this is for fun and learning...........sooooooo now tell me what will be what this machine is/should be "designed for doing?"

The SR-2 is designed for one thing only, EXTREME bencing, with server grade CPU's + Quad SLI capabilities (As any other server motherboard will no do this) It was built to be the best... and it is. There is really no practical use for it... aside from running a small city. Doing anything normal on it is utterly pointless. Think Formula 1 car dumbed down to the specs of a Ford Mustang... just so you can drive it to work everyday... NO... it's built for one thing, and that's racing. Same with the SR-2. If you're going to buy it for it's server properties... don't, as there are other server boards that can easily handle your needs. If you're going to buy it so you can try and play F-ing Crysis at 3000 FPS... don't, as it's a waste of potential and you can build a better gaming rig (you can't even notice framrates past a certain point anyway). However, if you plan on buying it just so you can play, have fun, and push the limits of computing... that is a perfectly good reason! As stated before... join us in the Benching subforum, and we will help you "get the most" out of it ;)

Cheesy video of but this is what it should look like

well like i said this kind of setup minus the SAS drives is a folders dream. that is if you can get 4ghz on all the cores of each cpu and be stable. not to mention the amount of X16 slots it has, fill those up with some NV gpu's, run the FAH GPU client. then run either the SMP FAH or join seti or the Rosetta team and run the clients on the cpus only. is a win, win both ways.

about the only other thing the pc would be good for is heavy and i mean heavy photoshopping or movie making like adding special effects/filters. other then that a dual quad 4ghz cpu setup would be sick fast at encoding movies to other formats.

well like i said this kind of setup minus the SAS drives .............

Dual ported SAS's with the RAID controllers I have!!!! Seriously? They are all Enterprise class Fujitsu Limited's. :rock:

My disk I/O and data transfer speeds not to mention stability will blow ANY SATA configuration you can hope for!!!!:screwy::burn:

However, if you plan on buying it just so you can play, have fun, and push the limits of computing... that is a perfectly good reason! As stated before... join us in the Benching subforum, and we will help you "get the most" out of it ;)

Yep, to play and learn. thats how I got most of this hardware. I have to say the MotherBoard Is BOUGHT. It will be here tomorrow!

Thank you for the the invite, I would love to join, but from the description of the qualifiers to get in to the forum it appears I'm left out on my own for awhile.

Unless I missed something:confused:

w i know the teams here would love to have you onboard if you setup it just to run the programs i talked about.

I must have missed where the links to the programs are.

Oh, I bought that board today! a buddy of mine just gave me a case, I don't know what brand it is but its 3 feet tall and 2 feet long. looks like it has 26 pci slots in the back.Its ugly white. I have an empty 1KW dell precision 690 case too. Hope one of those work:thup:

Dual ported SAS's with the RAID controllers I have!!!! Seriously? They are all Enterprise class Fujitsu Limited's. :rock:

My disk I/O and data transfer speeds not to mention stability will blow ANY SATA configuration you can hope for!!!!:screwy::burn:

Nope. A couple SSDs in raid, along with a few large sata drives would smoke those SSD drives in speed (SSD) and size (large sata)

SAS has its uses, but they are few for the average user not running a high IO server

Back