• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PC to get for work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

My boss wants to know what kind of desktop PC we should order to replace our old Dell crap. We're programmers and do Dotnet development and SQL Server stuff, along with a bunch of other things. So, we don't need some Alienware smoker, but what out of the box PC would you folks order and why? We'll need to be able to run some virtual machines, have a least dual monitor support, maybe more. Lots of cores, lots of RAM. Decent video card.

Shoot! And have a fallback.

The bosses will probably be happiest if we pick something from Dell or HP. A Dell 9020 mini tower has I7-4770 (3.4 GHz), 16gb. That's not too bad. GTX 645 video? Certainly better than we need for two 23" monitors. Only 128 SSD although it has a 1TB HD. Both are pretty small; that 128 is small for a boot disk and the 1 TB is small if we're going to be using multiple virtual machines.

The bosses will probably be happiest if we pick something from Dell or HP. A Dell 9020 mini tower has I7-4770 (3.4 GHz), 16gb. That's not too bad. GTX 645 video? Certainly better than we need for two 23" monitors. Only 128 SSD although it has a 1TB HD. Both are pretty small; that 128 is small for a boot disk and the 1 TB is small if we're going to be using multiple virtual machines.

Did you click my link?

Is it what you are looking for?
What you're describing in this post is pretty run of the mill.

Our laptops at work are SB i5s with 8gb of RAM and 320gb hdd, and they work fairly well. The newer models are coming with SSDs, wish mine had one. I do a lot of C# .NET and SQL Server work. Pretty much anything i5+ with 8gb+ RAM and an SSD would be perfect for your needs, the 9020 you mentioned will probably do extremely well.

Back