• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what Processor should i get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matrty602

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor

OR

AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core Processor

i am building my own computer from scratch and the motherboard i am getting says AM3+ but i herd its backwards compatible so it can take the Phenom , i am hearing alot about the bulldozer being crap and not good for gaming and yes that is what i am doing making a pure gaming computer, but i want to hear from the actual AMD fans see what they have to say

Either one of those processors is good. I know all about people calling Bulldozer crap, but you ask anyone who actually has one; They're still good processors. I don't know why people say the FX-4100 isn't good for gaming, that's what I built my rig for but I haven't had any issues gaming with mine at all. All in all, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the Phenom and the FX-4100.

well considering you said there would not be much difference between the 2 then i might as well get the phenom II considering it is on sale right now for 114.99 where the bulldozer is 139.99 atm

well considering you said there would not be much difference between the 2 then i might as well get the phenom II considering it is on sale right now for 114.99 where the bulldozer is 139.99 atm

Where are you getting it from? The FX-4100 is usually around $110, and the FX-4170 (which is just an overclocked 4100) is around $139.

I'll always go with an unlocked chip over one thats locked so I'd go with that Black Edition myself. I'm not sure if the FX-4100 is locked or not.

Ok, then it's really down to whichever is cheaper. Personally I believe the Phenom II is actually a better deal as that is actually 4x full cores rather than 2x modules. Either chip will do what you want it to do though.

Ok, then it's really down to whichever is cheaper. Personally I believe the Phenom II is actually a better deal as that is actually 4x full cores rather than 2x modules. Either chip will do what you want it to do though.

Yes, the Phenom will outperform the FX-4100, and is a good deal at the price he mentioned earlier. But I hate to turn away a potential Bulldozer brethren. :D

Bulldozer is a very nice chip, however with the options he has at that price point its just the Phenom II is a better deal. The Bulldozer cores are much more fun to overclock then the old Phenom II's though.

Back