• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Should I Do For My Very First Build? (Need Help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baseballkid3497

Registered
So I'm getting ready for my very first build, it's a relatively decent build for me only being a Sophomore in high school, I'm looking to have MS office, Photoshop and a Video Editing software for my Multimedia class. But anyways I'm on a really tight budget, and I was wondering should I spring for the extra 70$ copy of Windows 7, or I have a copy of XP laying around my house. (If you need me to, i'll post my specs for you guys to see) Thanks Guys!

So when you say "getting ready for my very first build," what exactly do you mean? If you mean that you have selected parts and are going to be assembling on your own, then the question comes to mind of what you plan to purchase... I would absolutely not discourage this in any way, shape or form because the act of building your own PC and understanding the whole process is a very good skill to have.

If you're not building, I would highly suggest visiting Newegg and picking up a refurbished HP or like PC. You get a killer deal because they can't market as new and you still get the support if it's DOA.

Back on Topic:

There's no issue with staying on XP. Its support from Microsoft is drawing to a close but it is still the most used OS in business and government environments (although shifting to 7). It's still used because it still works. Yea there's some fancy features and pretty windows and stuff in 7, but you're not going to lose out on compatibility for the programs you intend to use for school.

Back