• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what Wifi Router to buy...this or that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

I'm looking for an inexpensive 802.11g router to replace my old Linksys wired 4 port router. Im looking at either this Netgear WGU624 from Compusa or this D-link DI-524 from the egg. They work out to be the same price since egg has shipping on it. What do you guys think is the better router feature wise? Also I'm used to my linksys having fairly easy port forwarding setup so I would want that as well.

ive had problems with netgears stuff in the past, all consumer stuff mind you. imop their firmware sucks. id take the d-link.

linksys wrt54g v4<0. i think its worth a couple of more bucks. i currently dislike d-link routers because my connection always drop every 1-5 minutes using wireless(di-624)

I had dlink and linksys wireless routers but Belkin had the best wireless signal.

IMO netgear is good if you dont try to push it beyond what it is ment to do comfortably. Also, netgear's antennas are perminant, so if you want to upgrade or attach a cantenna, you have to pull the unit apart and start soldering stuff in.

I currently have a WGT624, but I need to blast a signal in 2 diffrent directions (with a omni antenna, no matter what I do, one or the other location is in a blind spot). I am considering getting a Linksys with 2 antenna and putting 2 big antenna on them.

I thin that the Linksys has the most options available to customize it for better performance. That is worth the extra money to me. If it ends up that as stock it will reach everywhere you need it great, but if not you have a good base to get that signal everywhere you want it.

Ok well Compusa didn't have the unit in stock and the deal ended (typical) so now I think I might just get the netgear plain G router referb from Compusa because it's only $15. This is just going in an apartment so I'm not looking to spread the signal out to a very far distance. It's the WGR614...anyone know anything about these?

well compusa fails again..only online order..well might as well get he brand new D-link for the same price. Question about the Linksys though...the multple antennas...it's not MIMO so how does that help? Also why do you think the linksys is worth th extra money?..yes besides they are Cisco.

Actually CIsco bought up Linksys so that they could use the wireless technologies they had, or something to that effect anyway.

As for why I like it better, as I said there are more third party firmwares available to up the power. Just having to transmit through a wall, or someplace with interference can be helped by a stronger transmission.

What are you looking for, getting into wireless as cheap as possible? Or something reliable and expandable? Personally I am sick of the consumer routers, and decided to go full on and buy a Cisco AP. But thats just me.

well I wanted cheap because I'm going short range...I went with the D-link $18 shipped from zipzoom. I figure if I'm going to drop cash I might as well wait until N is here.

blueswitch said:
well I wanted cheap because I'm going short range...I went with the D-link $18 shipped from zipzoom. I figure if I'm going to drop cash I might as well wait until N is here.

ok when you get it lets hear the results. I have a Linksys and it works fine

well I have a d-link 524 rev A2. When I 1st got it, I would have to reboot it every other day b/c it would drop the wirless and lan connections. But I updated it from firmware 1.11 to whatever the newest fw rev. is, I have not had to reboot it in over a month now. Its a good router for the price.

Without question, I would go with the Linksys standard. I use on at work and often have thirty or more laptops online grabbing updates and downloadable programs. As reliable as the day is long. I would steer clear of the Dlink. I do not like the firmware and it drops like it's hot. The Belkin is OK too. I personally don't have to much experience with it, but never had any bad issues.

Back