• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Windows services can I turn off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When I go into the task manager there is so many things running. So how do I clean up all the stuff so my folding rig will perform better?:unsure:

That's not going to do a thing...You're folding on the gpu... the cpu is hardly touched. ;)
It does show heavy CPU usage. I was just wanted to know if there is a program that would disable a lot of the things running in the background and do it safely.

What CPU are you currently running? F@H uses 1 CPU core per GPU, so if you have an i5 or i7 you are fine with all the extra Windows stuff in the background.

Your CPU is the bottleneck here unfortunately. It is doing a lot by running the OS and feeding the GPU's. For single threaded stuff, my 5900X boosting to 5150 is faster than a 6GHz 8700K in SuperPi 32M.. she is getting a bit dated. I would imagine you are seeing ~50% utilization?

Your CPU is the bottleneck here unfortunately. It is doing a lot by running the OS and feeding the GPU's. For single threaded stuff, my 5900X boosting to 5150 is faster than a 6GHz 8700K in SuperPi 32M.. she is getting a bit dated. I would imagine you are seeing ~50% utilization?
Ya I know I am in the prosses of building a new gaming rig.

To me that is not much different than running an OS downloaded from torrent or something.. I think your CPU is just busy running the show. The OS should not drag too much..

I am folding a little right now, and with my new mouse I can scroll at lightspeed what is running in my task manager.. all kinds of stuff that I will not pretend to know about :D

But why are there over 100 possess running?
Welcome to Windows 11... that isn't abnormal. My W11 with chrome (7 tabs), outlook, and file explorer shows juuuust over 100 processes running. Now, I don't trim my OS as I did nearly 15 years ago, but do manage 'start up apps' (Disable EA Launcher, MS Edge and Onedrive (since I don't use them on this PC). Etc. But yeah, it's quite normal to see that many processes running in W10/11. That said, with everything going on, it's using around 2/3% CPU on idle (though I have a lot more cores/threads than an 8700K so, that's part of the reason. Still I bet it isn't using much CPU when truly idle (read: Not F@H).

Screenshot 2024-03-04 063134.png

Last edited:
Welcome to Windows 11... that isn't abnormal. My W11 with chrome (7 tabs), outlook, and file explorer shows juuuust over 100 processes running. Now, I don't trim my OS as I did nearly 15 years ago, but do manage 'start up apps' (Disable EA Launcher, MS Edge and Onedrive (since I don't use them on this PC). Etc. But yeah, it's quite normal to see that many processes running in W10/11. That said, with everything going on, it's using around 2/3% CPU on idle (though I have a lot more cores/threads than an 8700K so, that's part of the reason. Still I bet it isn't using much CPU when truly idle (read: Not F@H).

View attachment 365282
You do have a good point, but would the PC run better and be more responsive if there were less running in the background?:unsure:

You do have a good point, but would the PC run better and be more responsive if there were less running in the background?:unsure:
It won't run better for F@H as that is running on the GPU. It could help responsiveness some, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a significant improvement. What is the CPU load when truly idle?

List your startup apps (picture) and maybe cut a couple of those from starting up. Otherwise, your best bet is to install a stripped OS to start. Look up Tiny11, for example.

It won't run better for F@H as that is running on the GPU. It could help responsiveness some, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a significant improvement.

List your startup apps (picture) and maybe cut a couple of those from starting up. Otherwise, your best bet is to install a stripped OS to start. Look up Tiny11, for example.
Thats one of those OS'S that run but with a limited number of programs running in the background, right?

I am not running a stripped OS, but system has been up for a bit, played games with different launchers, now she is sittin pretty

Screenshot 2024-03-04 073432.png

Screenshot 2024-03-04 073645.png

Back