• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Windows services can I turn off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOW you only have 35 programs running in the background!!!!!!See the thing is this PC is only to be used for a few things once I get my new rig Bulit. Its only going to be for F@H Microsoft office mail and that's it.

Its only going to be for F@H Microsoft office mail and that's it.
So when that happens, reinstall Windows from scratch and just put F@H and your email client on it. I don't see the point in getting a stripped OS (or reinstalling Windows for that matter) because it will be a folding machine anyway and you're not getting an increase in PPD or efficiency by doing so. But if you insist, I'd just reinstall Windows on the folding machine and your email client...

.... though, why are you building a new machine and not using that for email? Seems rather clumsy to have email on a different machine. Let the folding rig fold, and let your gaming rig handle your daily driver tasks. I mean, you do you, but that set up doesn't make sense to me. Dedicated folding machines, to me, are set it and forget it, not set it and run my email client on it, lol.

So when that happens, reinstall Windows from scratch and just put F@H and your email client on it. I don't see the point in getting a stripped OS (or reinstalling Windows for that matter) because it will be a folding machine anyway and you're not getting an increase in PPD or efficiency by doing so. But if you insist, I'd just reinstall Windows on the folding machine and your email client...

.... though, why are you building a new machine and not using that for email? Seems rather clumsy to have email on a different machine. Let the folding rig fold, and let your gaming rig handle your daily driver tasks. I mean, you do you, but that set up doesn't make sense to me. Dedicated folding machines, to me, are set it and forget it, not set it and run my email client on it, lol.
Thats a good idea thank you for the info. :)

Is this Win10 or Win11? There are quite a few websites with lists of everything you can safely turn off (like 50%+ of Windows services) for Win10, not sure about Win11.

Win10

Win11

How are you taking the screenshot? What app are you using? MS Paint will crop it... W11 you can select the size or full screen it.

I'm just hitting printscreen then into Paint. I have tried fullscreen, windowed, draw the outline and even closed up the screen in Paint...nothing seems to work for me. I must be missing something simple because this isn't rocket science lol.

Zoom out in Paint (webwheel, I believe) when you paste an image... then shrink the whitespace (edge of the whitespace allows you to click/hold and drag to resize). You can/should do it like JLK does and make the whitespace/canvas really small )open paint, zoom out, shrink da hell out of the canvas), then all images you paste will be larger and without the white border. But yeah, for some reason, your canvas is huge to start. That needs to shrink.

That said, W11 and the snipping tool = Winning. :)

Get Irfanview, works roughly like paint but has sooooooo many more options to tweak images. Plus, free 👍🏻

I use it to resize and rename a batch of images. Haven't tried much else. I use Paint.net to tweak images (photoshop n00b).

Untitled.jpg

On another pc...shrinking the canvas does nothing, but expanding the image to cover the white does.

Untitled.jpg
Post magically merged:

Back on the original pc...this is weird and I have never had to do this before. There is no problem with the images...fullscreen and draw work as they should. The canvas is like it is stuck in a expanded position and I've found no way to reduce it. You can view my attachments in previous threads and there was no problem...wtf has happened recently to cause this? :bang head I'm about to the point of uninstalling Paint and reloading it.

maybe.jpg

test 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back