• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what would you change?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

octane7

Registered
I'm going to order new parts for my new rig next week, and I have already everything set but I was wondering what I should change.

I can only change one.

1) AMD Athlon 64 3200+ / to a / 64 3500+
2) eVGA GeForce 6800 PCI-E / to a / 6800 GT PCI-E

Which would you change? 1 or 2? and why?

I'm running this on a DFI Ultra-D motherboard with 1 GB of dual channel Geil ram. (Air cooling, 500 watt power supply, 120 GB Hard Drive)

The video card because it would be more benefitial in games. Also if you are overclocking the 3500+ would not be worth it.

Scott9027 said:
I would change to the 6800GT if you play a lot of games. What kind of RAM is that specifically? I personally would stick with the 6800 or even a 6600GT and get better RAM to help your overclock, or improve cooling in some way for the same reason.

Going with a lower-end video card for "overclocking" RAM would be a poor choice. He will be fine with value RAM running a divider. The real-world performance difference from using lower-latency RAM would be negligible while going with a 6800GT over a 6600GT would give him much better performance. This is why I generally always recommend Value RAM.

This man speaks great wisdom. Actualy, you could still very easily max out a 3000+ on that board. Most top around 2700mhz, which is 300HT. The board is easily capable of 320+. Ohh, I also suggest getting more ram if possible. Games are starting to utilize almost a full 1024mb on their own (Battlefield 2 specificly) so 1.5gb or 2gb would actualy be optimal. 1gb sticks of cas2.5 mushkin runs for $86 each on newegg.

Ohh, and I vote for #2.

Back