• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming Keyboard? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are many boards with browns or reds. Most of your hardcore users hate media keys, so you are in the minority and likely no board will ever happen that will meet your needs, but if you find one please let me know!

What do they have against media keys? i find them quite useful! As ive said tho, only reason i got one was because work was paying for it, so it was a chance for me to try it out without having to front the cost for it. I still love my G110 tho.

The sidewinder X4 is a great keyboard!

I thought I wanted to upgrade and sold it.. but I still havent found a better keyboard so I resort to using an old usb keyboard untill i find a nice black backlight one for FPS games

Ordered a Rosewill cherry brown today, they're $30 off at newegg. My old kb started activating it neighboring switches! Excited for the new one. Thanks for the guide Aynjell.

Janus67, did you finish that review?

Last edited:
What do they have against media keys? i find them quite useful! As ive said tho, only reason i got one was because work was paying for it, so it was a chance for me to try it out without having to front the cost for it. I still love my G110 tho.

Nothing, but I prefer they be activated using an FN key.

FYI, got a cooler master. cm storm rapid with blues. It's complete garbage and I hate it. Do not reccomend.

Ordered a Rosewill cherry brown today, they're $30 off at newegg. My old kb started activating it neighboring switches! Excited for the new one. Thanks for the guide Aynjell.

Janus67, did you finish that review?

I did finish the review(s) of the keyboards that I got in, just waiting on it to get past the editors :)

You won't be disappointed with the mx browns, it was one of my favorites :cool:

FYI, got a cooler master. cm storm rapid with blues. It's complete garbage and I hate it. Do not reccomend.

I HAAATE using the FN key to activate the media keys. Its freakishly inconvenient and they might as well not even be on there. Especially on this one i have due ti the volume control being almost the opposite end of the FN key.

Ill take dedicated media controls any day.

I HAAATE using the FN key to activate the media keys. Its freakishly inconvenient and they might as well not even be on there. Especially on this one i have due ti the volume control being almost the opposite end of the FN key.

On this we differ, different strokes as they say (pardon the pun).

I am with you on this one as well, my Razer Black Widow has the FN-based media keys. My old logitech had separate keys and I miss that.

I posted this in another thread, but I probably should have left it here as well. Thanks to Aynjell for the suggestion and petteyg359 for the link to their website :D

The FN key gives you access to Insert, Pause, ScrLk, PrtSc, and media buttons. My requirements for a keyboard are tenkeyless, backlit keys, and as small of a footprint as possible. This is also my first mechanical keyboard. The only thing I don't like about the keyboard is that it's really loud since I bottom out the keys. So, I got some rubber washers from WASD to quiet the landing. The landing is still audible, but not near as loud as before.

• Cherry MX Red
  • White LEDs
  • 3 LED modes: all keys constant, all keys pulse, and wasd/esc/arrows.
  • 5 levels of brightness for the LEDs.
  • DIP switches to disable Windows key, turn Win key into FN key, and swap CTRL and Caps Lock.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep, it's finally published!

I know some of you have had more experience with the keyboard(s) than I have. If you have any comments don't be afraid to post :)

I've an old G-15 keyboard when I go into serious mode I still use and put above my main one and use the macros and everything off it, my desk is pretty deep I guess.

But for general purpose I hate straight keyboard's and use a Microsoft ergonomic 4000 for ever day purposes :)

:beer:

*edit* the blue back lighting looks pretty similar to the G-15's :)

You can do some pretty nice things in some games with the macro's on the left side of the G-15 once you get those programmed, haven't used mine in awhile I guess.

So.. what didint you liked in this keyboard? I was going to get it because of its size... I wanted a keyboard just like this cm but with ilumination, cuz I like to type in the dark, and I hate Npad. Its useless to me.

Btw I learned a lot with this great topic. It Really made me curious about getting a mec :thup:

So.. what didint you liked in this keyboard? I was going to get it because of its size... I wanted a keyboard just like this cm but with ilumination, cuz I like to type in the dark, and I hate Npad. Its useless to me.

Btw I learned a lot with this great topic. It Really made me curious about getting a mec :thup:

Haha, love mechy's. But the CM storm rapid didn't feel right, it felt like all the keys were 3-4 times stiffer than a normal blue.

Haha, love mechy's. But the CM storm rapid didn't feel right, it felt like all the keys were 3-4 times stiffer than a normal blue.

Oh I see... Its like loosing the fun of it :cool:.. I was using those membrane dell and one day i felt like I wanted to knew something new and then, discovered this whole world of keyboards!
I like to play for fun, but with quality. I bought a A4tech g800 and it seems that is a good keyboard, a lot of resources for a entry level gamer keyboard (please dont throw me rocks!), but I hated the keys. Way too loose :mad:
I think I am going for a blackwidow ultimate stealth as I play more of those rts / moba games , and a shooter sometimes.

And I have a question... if I plug an usb to ps2 adapter, it will become NKRO? Or it has to be a native PS2 keyboard? I dont think I m gonna need it. Just for curiosity.

Oh I see... Its like loosing the fun of it :cool:.. I was using those membrane dell and one day i felt like I wanted to knew something new and then, discovered this whole world of keyboards!
I like to play for fun, but with quality. I bought a A4tech g800 and it seems that is a good keyboard, a lot of resources for a entry level gamer keyboard (please dont throw me rocks!), but I hated the keys. Way too loose :mad:
I think I am going for a blackwidow ultimate stealth as I play more of those rts / moba games , and a shooter sometimes.

And I have a question... if I plug an usb to ps2 adapter, it will become NKRO? Or it has to be a native PS2 keyboard? I dont think I m gonna need it. Just for curiosity.

If it supports NKRO over ps2, you'll get NKRO.

Back